December Wordcrawl: Half Blood Prince

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

December Wordcrawl: Half Blood Prince

Postby Sky Alton » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:14 pm

Welcome to another December Word Crawl!
Don’t know what a crawl is? No problem! I’ve given you a run-down of everything you need here
In short though, it’s like a writing board game: you write from one instruction to the next to create a story of 300 words or more and it can be about absolutely anything (you don’t have to stick to the Harry Potter theme in any way).
If you’d like to share your story, you’ll earn 20 beans and it will count towards your chance of earning one of our shiny quill and ink awards. You can post it below or if you’re uncomfortable sharing publically but would still like it to count, you can email it to us at hol.bookclub @ gmail.com (without spaces) with the subject line Crawl-Month-HOL ID. There is no deadline, though if you want to scoop that award, we’ll need it by the end of the school year.

We’ve reached Half Blood Prince and in deference to Harry’s new potions prowess (ehem), today you won’t just be writing a story. You’ll also be brewing The Draft of Living Death. With a tiny portion of Felix Felicis up for grabs, light the fire of creativity beneath your cauldron and get started!

Completely failing to be surprised, you watch on as your friend correctly identifies nearly every potion the Professor has ranged around the room
*In celebration of the 30 points she snags, write as many words*

Now it’s time to get down to work. You nervously flip open the stained and tattered text book. The page is almost indecipherable beneath the scrawls and additions of the previous owner.
*Write 50 words while you struggle to make it out and fetch the ingredients you need* (Bonus if you can do at least part of this with your eyes closed)

With what you think are the correct ingredients, you try to make a start
*Chop your Valerian Roots and chuck another 50 words into the cauldron*

You prod fruitlessly at the incredibly recalcitrant sopophorous bean for a long while. In the background, you can hear certain members of the class trying desperately to smarm their way into the professor’s good books
*Write 70 words while you struggle*

Caving in, you actually follow the annotator’s advice and crush the bean with a silver dagger. This results in an alarming gush of juice that nearly soaks you (and everything else within a 2 feet radius)
*Write 30 words while you decant the juice and try to mop up a bit*

You move onto stirring and guiltily decide to throw in a clockwise stir after 7 counter clockwise, as your new advisor from the book suggests. To your amazement (and the dismay of your friend) it pays off.
*Write 50 words while you stir* (Bonus if you can use one hand and switch every 10 words. Yes, I’m evil)

The professor begins to come round to inspect everyone’s handy work and you wait in nervous anticipation to see if yours really is as good as it looks
*Write 20 words while you squirm* (bonus if the final moments of your story are very tense)

You receive a vial of liquid luck in return for your sterling work (and new-found willingness to take advice from strangers)
*But before you celebrate, don’t forget to share your story with us!*
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Shiloh Adlar
Silver Arrow

Re: December Wordcrawl: Half Blood Prince

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:57 am

It was another typical day at school where the teacher asked questions, and we were called on whether our hands were raised or not. I slumped back in my chair. "Don't call on me. Don't call on me," I whispered with my eyes closed thinking that if I could not see the teacher, they would not see me. Unfortunately, that did not work and he said my name loud and clear. "Breanne, what is the difference between stalagmites and stalactites?"

I opened my eyes and sat back up in my seat. I got to thinking, "What's the difference between a stalagmite and stalactite?" That's when it hit me. I thought about my favorite book series and when that questioned was asked, so I answered, "Stalagmite has an 'm' in it."

The rest of the class went up in a fit of giggles, and I was not sure whether they were laughing at me or if they simply thought what I said was funny. Either way, the teacher was not having any of it and gave me a frown. "Nice try. Does anyone know the difference?" A few of the students raised their hands eager to give out the correct answer. "Yes, Landon?"

Landon, one of the smarter boys in the class answered, "The difference between the two are that stalactites hang from the ceiling, while stalagmites grow from the floor."

"Excellent job, Landon, for a correct and serious answer," my teacher said turning back to me and giving me his evil eye.

When the class was over, Landon caught up with me. "That was really funny, you know. Mr. Cosgrove does not have a funny bone in his body apparently."

"I really did know the answer," I replied. "I get nervous."

"That's okay," said Landon. "You'll get it next time."
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Return to “Quill and Ink”