June Prompt: Fair Weather Fiction

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

June Prompt: Fair Weather Fiction

Postby Sky Alton » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:43 am

The weather is frightening, the thunder and lightning seem to be having their way…
-Irving Berlin

Weather. It’s an irrefutable part of life and can be a very, very convenient plot point in a story. Just remember that old chestnut: ‘it was a dark and stormy night….’.

For this prompt, I’d like you to write us a story (of 200 words or more) about weather. Not just with a nice, atmospheric thunder storm crashing dramatically over head but one where the weather plays a large part in the action. Whether someone is surviving a drought or battling a grasping Sea Witch in a tempest, I’m interested to see how they interact with nature and what it throws at them.

If you’re comfortable sharing, then post below. If not, email your story to us via hol.bookclub @ gmail.com (without the spaces) by the end of the school year. Oh and remember it’s a good idea to check through your piece carefully for spelling and grammatical errors as they make it harder for people to properly enjoy your work.
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Shiloh Adlar
Moontrimmer

Re: June Prompt: Fair Weather Fiction

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:42 am

Cry of the Elements

Tales of the elements were passed on through the generations of Skylar’s family for they had a gift of speaking with them. It was a language that was inherited by females down the royal line and with this ability, they could control the storms. Though this gift existed, it was a rule that one not ever involve themselves with the way of the elements unless absolutely necessary for doing so could have drastic results. The elements, of which Skylar’s family believed to be living spirits, had strong mind’s of their own and would not bend easily to their calling. Only one with a powerful will could dream of controlling them.

Skylar went through the training under her mother. She learned quickly, praying to the elements to hear their voices and seek guidance and friendship with them. She also prayed to the goddess that she would never have to intervene.

Her prayers now would seem to be unanswered. The rain would not stop. The river rose so high that it began to flood the plains. No matter how many sandbags the townspeople would put up, the flood waters broke them down. It would seem water and lightning were not happy. As the flood waters rose, lightning struck homes and trees leaving dark smoke in its wake. Even the wind picked up force as the element of air blew harder and faster causing the ruins of buildings to fly into the palace walls.

Skylar took a deep breath. She knew it was now or never. Her mother called to her. “You must speak to the elements. You must find what it is that has them so angry and upset. They must bow to your will and listen. If this keeps up…”

“I know, Maman,” Skylar replied, her eyes to the skies.

The stone she wore around her neck was a way for her to communicate with the goddess for guidance on how she should proceed. Skylar touched her fingertips to it, opening her heart and allowing the goddess to fill her being. “What shall I do?”

The goddess spoke, “Go to the palace walls, and address the elements by name. Raise your arms to the sky and summon them. They are disturbed. Listen to their cries. They will speak to you.”

Skylar immediately did as she was told. “Rane! Cerauno! Empearal! Come to me! I summon you to my side! I wish to listen to your cries! Please tell me! What has disturbed you so?”

Though the storm continued to rage, the elements gathered around Skylar and she could feel their wrath. Inside she heard their voices all speaking at once. “They come! They threaten the land. Their magics are too strong. We are bent to destroy!”

Skylar shook her head. What sort of magic could they be speaking of that could send the elements to such restlessness? There was only one that came to mind but he had been gone for too many years. How could he return now. Inanos was consumed by Fervis and Theran, the gods of fire and earth. Could he have truly broken free? If he had, Skylar knew only the goddess would be able to create a new seal, and even then, it would not be permanent. However, it would buy them time to prepare for war against the god of Death once more.

Skylar touched the stone to her throat again. “My goddess, I need you now. I believe Inanos has used his magic against the elements. We must use our power to free them while there is still time.”

“Yes, my child,” the goddess replied. “I will breathe into you my magic and together we shall call upon Vividus, the god of Life, to break the elemental bonds that leave the elements captive to Inanos’ shadow sorcery.”

“I am ready.”

The goddess and Skylar joined together then and Skylar felt her whole body burning bright, glowing, lighting the darkened sky. “Vividus, we seek you now. Use your power to help the elements break free from Inanos. In turn, we will go after and seal him once more!”

Vividus, the god of Life, listened to the cry of the goddess, which was his love Arcanis, and that of her child named after the skies. He could not deny them their request, and used his power to cause the shadowy chains binding the elements to disappear in a shower of fresh lilac blooms.

Skylar watched the scene before her as she separated from Arcanis, her goddess, once more. She smiled as she watched the skies lighten and flood waters begin to evaporate thanks to the help of Empearal and Therris, Theran’s elemental spirit of earth, who drank the water up thirstily into the ground. Skylar whispered softly to them, “We will bind Inanos once more. You shall be free. Thank you my friends for trusting me.” As she turned to head back inside the palace, she felt the elements together gather around her, thanking her as well.
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Return to “Quill and Ink”