Music to Write To

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Sky Alton
Silver Arrow

Music to Write To

Postby Sky Alton » Wed May 17, 2017 8:02 pm

Studies have shown that for about half of us, listening to music can help our productivity and creativity. For the other half, it’s the complete opposite.

Which are you? Does music distract you from what you’re doing? Or do you like to have something on in the background while you write? If so, I’d love to hear what tunes you use to get you into the zone for creating.

I actually fluctuate between the two. Sometimes music relaxes me and sometimes it annoys me intensely. If I ever do listen to music while I work, it tends to be instrumentals-sung words distract me from mine. My main favourites are piano versions of Disney songs but I also branch out into orchestral film soundtracks now and again.
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
"Without reading, we are all without light in the dark, without fire in the cold."-Tamora Pierce
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Katya Snow
No broom

Re: Music to Write To

Postby Katya Snow » Wed May 17, 2017 8:06 pm

I have to listen to a very specific kind of music or it's just distracting for me. i can't stand it when there are words being sung because it ruins my flow and my brain can't focus on the words i'm working on. i listen to a lot of gaming music, especially stuff from roleplaying games like Skyrim, the long flowing songs. i've found that listening to the wandering music really helps my flow. boss music helps a huge heeps when i'm writing dramatic, intense or fighting scenes. i guess there's some science behind it,but all i know is that i love to have the background noise of flutes and drums and stuff to drown out real life and it super keeps me focused ^^

Kendra Givens
No broom

Postby Kendra Givens » Thu May 18, 2017 12:55 am

I haven't been participating in much writing, but I find that at work when I need to focus I get distracted by listening to my favorite songs. I also get really irritated if there is too much sound going on. I recently discovered that there are radio stations on live streaming websites that play orchestral versions of pop hits. This is AMAZING because I can still listen to my favorite music while not being distracted by the words. Sometimes this is even more helpful because certain songs evoke certain emotions, which can either help or hurt productivity at the time. You should try it!
**Siggie created by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black

Aurelia West
No broom

Postby Aurelia West » Thu May 18, 2017 5:51 am

I definitely understand the duality of how listening to music can effect me creatively. Like others have noted, when there are lyrics present I tend to concentrate on those, especially when I actually know them. However, I do enjoy listening to music while I write sometimes because I feel like the emotions music can evoke help get me into the mindset to write that emotion. When I do listen to music it's typically instrumental music, and I really enjoy the sounds of the piano playing softly in the background.

Also, I don't know if this is strange or not, but I feel better writing to music when I'm not overtly familiar with it. Sometimes I've listened to a track so much that I know what's coming up next and I can sing or hum along, and doing that also impedes my writing because a part of my brain focuses on that. So I suppose I enjoy listening to music while writing, but it's typically both instrumental and not too familiar.

Katya Snow
No broom

Postby Katya Snow » Thu May 18, 2017 11:36 am

Aurelia West wrote:I definitely understand the duality of how listening to music can effect me creatively. Like others have noted, when there are lyrics present I tend to concentrate on those, especially when I actually know them. However, I do enjoy listening to music while I write sometimes because I feel like the emotions music can evoke help get me into the mindset to write that emotion. When I do listen to music it's typically instrumental music, and I really enjoy the sounds of the piano playing softly in the background.

Also, I don't know if this is strange or not, but I feel better writing to music when I'm not overtly familiar with it. Sometimes I've listened to a track so much that I know what's coming up next and I can sing or hum along, and doing that also impedes my writing because a part of my brain focuses on that. So I suppose I enjoy listening to music while writing, but it's typically both instrumental and not too familiar.

Oh that's not weird at all, i have the same problem! i can't listen to playlists on Youtube anymore, even on shuffle because i always know what's coming up as soon as i hear the first notes. i love this one particular website called GamingRadio because it's all game music. some of the songs have lyrics but by the time the lyrics come i'm so focused on my writing i don't notice. especially when they're in Japanese or french.

Return to “Quill and Ink”