Inspirational Literary Characters

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Inspirational Literary Characters

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:50 am

Every once in a while, you read a book and somehow, something or someone in the book inspires you to do something different, make different choices, change your life and/or appreciate the life that you have now.

In this topic, we ask: What literary characters have inspired you?

Who was the character, in which book (or books) did you find this person (or these persons). Who is the author of this book?

How were you inspired? Was this an inspiration which you say 'yes, I will do that!' Or was this an inspiration of which you say 'oh, crud, I see I've been doing that and I will STOP right this minute!'

What happened in the story which led up to this inspiration of who and what to be? Or was it the entire story, in which a character develops from being a certain way and changes to something else entirely?

Please keep your posts HOL-appropriate. If you put graphics in the post, please keep them to 600x600 or less (and give credit where credit is due).
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Re: Inspirational Literary Characters

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:51 am

After reading The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie, I think Arnold/Junior could be and has been an inspirational character for many. This novel is based off of Alexie's real life though it has been fictionalized. Junior has grown up on an Indian reservation is whole life where families grow up there and die there. No one ever leaves. However, Junior was also born with "water on the brain." He had to have surgery at six months old to relieve that pressure and it made him different from his peers. He was bullied growing up but made a best friend, Rowdy, who became his protector. Junior, after an incident at his res school, is told something by a teacher, and does something that no one on the res has done before and, therefore, begins to change his life.

The copy of the book that I have had bonus material to it as it was the tenth anniversary edition. In it, Alexie writes back on the 10 years since True Diary was published, but more so on his friend Randy, who Rowdy is based off of. He speaks of how Rowdy and even Arnold/Junior have been inspirational characters for many Indians through the years since it's publication. Even reading the story, to take a step back from the racism parts of it (of which it does discuss), Junior is incredibly brave and the decision he makes is what saved his life. This has more meaning as you read the book (though it is something mentioned way early on, so no spoiler tag needed). I think anyone could be inspired by his willingness to try something different and make a change and to just step out of your comfort zone, take a risk, and see what happens. I read the whole book in one sitting. It's that good.
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Maxim Trevelyan
Cleansweep One

Re: Inspirational Literary Characters

Postby Maxim Trevelyan » Sat May 12, 2018 8:41 pm

One of the most inspirational literary characters is definitely Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice. Despite the times and her situation, she is staying true to herself and what she wants. Those years were heavy on the meaning of duty, especially when it concerned women. “Duty means doing things your heart may well regret.” However, Elizabeth does things her own way and does not want to sacrifice her heart, pride and integrity. She goes against the wishes of her family and the society, which is only to be admired when the rules are so restricting. Elizabeth is also very intelligent and well-read, which makes her even more inspirational and a good role model.

Another is Bethany Hamilton, who lost her arm in a horrible shark attack. However, she did not let that stop her from returning back to her passion, which was surfing. Despite the heavy loss, she returned to surfing only a month after her accident. Bethany shows how optimism, faith and not giving in can overcome great obstacles and lead to success. A great role model for anyone who struggle with their supposed setbacks while they aim to achieve their dreams.
Thank you Dario!

Return to “Between the Pages”