Reading With the Awards

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Aurelia West
Oakshaft 79

Reading With the Awards

Postby Aurelia West » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:24 pm

How do you all find new books to read? Usually I just go to libraries and pick up whatever stands out to me, but lately I've been trying to keep up with a few book awards such as the Man Booker Prize and the Bailey's Women's Prize for Fiction. I've got at least half of the books from the longlist of each from 2017 on my to read list, though I haven't yet tackled them, and I'd love to know of more awards that I can follow to find new things to read.

I've also found quite a few things to read from looking at the nominees for the Goodreads Choice Awards, and one of these books was a poetry collection entitled When I Grow Up I Want to Be a List of Further Possibilities by Chen Chen, and I really enjoyed it because of Chen's unique perspective as a gay Asian American immigrant. Though it didn't end up winning the award, I really enjoyed looking through nominees in all the categories and picking out ones that seemed interesting to me.

Any thoughts on book awards, whether decided by a panel of judges or by the population? Have you read any books that have won such prizes that you would recommend? I'd love to hear any thoughts!

Return to “Between the Pages”