Solving the Crime in the Nick of Time

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Arianna Stonewater
Cleansweep One

Solving the Crime in the Nick of Time

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:14 pm

Father Brown is a kindly Catholic Priest. But he's also a small-town detective! Or at least, he solves mysterious (much to the annoyance of the town police department and real detective.) He is not an Agatha Christie character in a novel, but rather a mini-series super-sleuth brought to life by G.K, Chesterton. Chesteron wrote a series of short stories about this priest and how his curiosity gets him into trouble and solves the crime! I read this years ago, but after finally finishing all the episodes of the BBC's Father Brown currently on Netflix (Featuring our own Arthur Weasley as Father Brown!!!) I decided to reread it.

I loved reading this collection, as it reminded me of the mystery stories I read as a child- Nancy Drew, Encyclopedia Brown, and the Hardy Boys. As an adult, it also reminds me of sitcoms. In 5 minutes we get the problem, followed by some sub-plot twists that make the problem worse, but everything is tied up neatly with a bow in an hour or less! What kind of life that must be! Even knowing that it's all going to work out, I still enjoy these because half the excitement is figuring out the process! It's like an Ocean's Eleven movie or a magic trick; you know the end result, but how did it happen?

Are there are collections of mystery stories you like?
~thanks secret elf~

Shiloh Adlar
Silver Arrow

Re: Solving the Crime in the Nick of Time

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:14 pm

A series that comes to mind rather quickly is Dan Brown's starting with The Davinci Code. I actually saw the movies to these books first before reading them, and I must say that after reading the books, I cannot watch the movies because of how much is taken out. I love that I am constantly kept on the edge trying to figure out what is going to happen next. I think what draws me to this series over others is the conspiracy aspect of it. I always loved the National Treasure movies as well simply because of all the conspiracy theories and history mixed in with the plot just like Dan Brown does excellently for the Robert Langdon books.

Growing up, I also remember liking Nancy Drew and the Box Car Children. I remember the library actually had those books in a little box car on one of the shelves. I also remember reading the Mandie mystery series, though I couldn't say now what they were about. It almost makes me want to go back and read these books all over again.
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Prof. Amy Lupin
Cleansweep Three

Re: Solving the Crime in the Nick of Time

Postby Prof. Amy Lupin » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:39 am

I really enjoyed Dan Brown's books, although I confess I have yet to read Origin. One of my favourite mysteries is probably The Clockwork Scarab by Colleen Gleason. It follows Sherlock Holme's fictional niece as well as Bram Stoker's fictional sister as they try solve the matter at hand together. It also blends the steampunk and science fiction genres together. Unfortunately I didn't get very far in the second book of the series, as I lost interest part of the way in, which I was rather disappointed about.

I also enjoy Agatha Christie's works, particularly those that feature Poirot, the famous Belgian detective, and Miss Marple. I confess I've only read a handful of the books, but I'm slowly working my way through the TV series for both. So far, my favourite ones are probably Hickory Dickory Dock and Murder on the Orient Express (I wasn't too keen on Kenneth Branagh's adaptation though).

Return to “Between the Pages”