On the Outside

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Shiloh Adlar
Moontrimmer

On the Outside

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:18 am

I recently read The Art of Secrets by James Klise for the Book Bingo prompt of "Has Multiple Points of View." The story of this book is told from the point of view of many different characters, and they each have their own idea about the things that have occurred. One theme that I picked up in this book, outside of the mystery plot line, was that of being on the outside. Saba and her family, the main focus of the story, are from Pakistan, Javier, an exchange student, is from Spain, and then there is Kendra and Kevin who are both brand new students at this very well-known high school with mostly "legendary" students. "Legendary" students are students whose parents and grandparents also went to that school.

What these four students have in common is that they are outsiders in the school. More than that, there are teachers, one who is very young and has been at the school for three years but still considered "new" and looked down on and the art teacher who is frowned upon because he likes males instead of females. In the book, one of the other characters, a "legendary" student of the school whose family has a lot of money, is asked a question about a time in his life when he was an outsider. Instead of writing about himself, he writes about these other people and their experiences.

What I'm curious to know is what books have you all read that deal with this theme of being an outsider? Often these books are written by marginalized authors, and I've read quite a few of them this past summer. Are there any that you would recommend or perhaps you relate to?
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Return to “Between the Pages”