On the Outside

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Shiloh Adlar
Silver Arrow

On the Outside

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:18 am

I recently read The Art of Secrets by James Klise for the Book Bingo prompt of "Has Multiple Points of View." The story of this book is told from the point of view of many different characters, and they each have their own idea about the things that have occurred. One theme that I picked up in this book, outside of the mystery plot line, was that of being on the outside. Saba and her family, the main focus of the story, are from Pakistan, Javier, an exchange student, is from Spain, and then there is Kendra and Kevin who are both brand new students at this very well-known high school with mostly "legendary" students. "Legendary" students are students whose parents and grandparents also went to that school.

What these four students have in common is that they are outsiders in the school. More than that, there are teachers, one who is very young and has been at the school for three years but still considered "new" and looked down on and the art teacher who is frowned upon because he likes males instead of females. In the book, one of the other characters, a "legendary" student of the school whose family has a lot of money, is asked a question about a time in his life when he was an outsider. Instead of writing about himself, he writes about these other people and their experiences.

What I'm curious to know is what books have you all read that deal with this theme of being an outsider? Often these books are written by marginalized authors, and I've read quite a few of them this past summer. Are there any that you would recommend or perhaps you relate to?
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Re: On the Outside

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:15 am

I started a google search and found this:

Unifying these books is a theme of alienation, a sense of not belonging, of being an outsider --
Suzanne Collins - Hunger Games
Stephanie Meyer - Twilight
JK Rowling - Harry Potter
J.D. Salinger - The Catcher in the Rye
Joseph Heller - Catch-22
Aldous Huxley - 1984
Charlotte Brontë - Jane Eyre

And another reference goes to Goodreads --
Popular Alienation Books

So there is a distinct category of shelving for books like that, Shiloh. Thanks for asking! It's sort of odd that Harry Potter is listed in there, along with Hunger Games and ... Twilight. :D
*Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* image by Susan Seddon Boulet *Avatar made by Amy*
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Shiloh Adlar
Silver Arrow

Re: On the Outside

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:22 am

Twilight I can easily see. Bella distinctly states that she has felt like an outsider her whole life until she meets the Cullens and enters their world. With Harry Potter, I think Harry was the outsider in his family just like Hermione was the outsider being a muggle-born in the wizarding world and the Weasley's were outsiders to some because of their love of muggles. I can't say I know too much about the Hunger Games as I'm still reading the books, but Katniss, from what I remember, becomes an outsider in a certain place after a certain event. And it's not necessarily as an outsider with people, but she's outside of the world she knew and into one that is completely different.

I'm glad they have that category. I've definitely read some of the books in it already, but I'll have to check out more of them. Thanks for posting, Tarma! :)
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Return to “Between the Pages”