Diary Books

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Gustavo Flores
Moontrimmer

Diary Books

Postby Prof. Gustavo Flores » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:23 pm

For my third Summer Reading Challenge book, I read The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. This is the kind of book I wish I had read before watching the movie because I think the experience is more magical when you first read the novel and then watch the film adaptation. Nevertheless that didn’t happen and I can say that I enjoyed both of them (the book and the movie). I thought the movie was very true to the book, and it couldn’t be other way since Chbosky, the author of the book, was also the screenwriter and director of the movie. Also the cast, I believe, was incredible, especially because the main female character is played by Emma Watson!!! :wub:

Regarding the book, the thing I liked the most was that is written as a diary. Through Charlie’s diary entries, we get to know about his life as a high-school student, his fears, his feelings, his relationship with his family and with his best friends Patrik and Sam, his thoughts about important and relevant topics, his love for books, literature, and music, his admiration for his Literature professor, his first falling in love, his discovery of adolescence, and his deepest secrets that hide traumatic experiences from his childhood.

Overall I think it was a great reading and since it was written as a diary, the reading just flowed, and that is what I like the most about diaries. When it is a diary, you submerge into the characters life. I think it becomes a much personal experience, and the connection with the character is even better. I have read other diary books like Anne Frank’s Diary, Doris Lessing’s The Golden Notebook, Bram Stoker’s Dracula, and of course Chbosky’s The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and I have enjoyed all of them, so I was wondering if you knew any other diary books that you would recommend.

Return to “Between the Pages”