Film/TV Adaptations

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Nimbus 2001

Film/TV Adaptations

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:52 am

There are so many movies made from books that wouldn't have been made unless there WAS the book(s) for them to be made from. Sometimes the movies resemble the books so closely that you know exactly what will happen in the movie because it was so in the books.

Other movies -- the title of the movie is the same (similar to) that of the book, but there were many differences! Sometimes even vital details of plot or character or action are totally different / ignored / or embroidered.

Which books have you read that were later adapted into movies/tv series? What were your thoughts? Were you thrilled or disappointed by the film/tv directors' efforts?
*Siggy and Avatar from The Princess Bride*
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....STILL."~Xaris

Prof. Amy Lupin
Cleansweep Two

Re: Film/TV Adaptations

Postby Prof. Amy Lupin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:35 am

One of my all-time favourite series is Legend of the Seeker, which is based on Terry Goodkind's The Wizard's First Rule. I confess to having watched the first season before picking up the books, but overall I thought they did a great job with the TV series. There were a number of things that were changed around and added in, but I felt it was for the better. In fact, this is one of the few times that I felt the movie/TV adaptation was better than the book.

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Nimbus 2001

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:58 pm

The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins, was made into a movie.

We're reading it now, for our first monthly book discussion, and one reason I wanted to read it again is because I'd just watched The Hunger Games (movie) again and watched the 'making of' extras. Some of the actors in it said they wanted to be in the movie because of the book. Hmm. I'd read all the books in the series and thought - okay, let's read that first book again.

I think a lot of the movie was very good or even excellent. Much of the excellence of the movie is because of the actors and actresses. I don't know of many who could play Katniss, Effie, Cinna, President Snow (and others) as well as those chosen to play them.

The movie was, somehow, a bit more gritty than my imagination while reading the book. I think a lot of that was because of the brilliance of the actors, because I got drawn into the 'here we are' a bit more firmly watching the movie.

There were changes from book to movie, one which was rather huge at the end of the movie (spoilers!) but which I could see would make it easier to create the movie sequels if any were made.

I think the adaptation was very good. The book is very good. Yes, it was a successful hunt for both.
*Siggy and Avatar from The Princess Bride*
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....STILL."~Xaris

Kendra Givens
No broom

Postby Kendra Givens » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:07 am

I think my favorite of movie adaptation of the book was Effie Trinket. She's one of those characters that after you see her in the movie and then re-read the book, you have a much better understanding of who she is. I remember seeing the movie the first time and when she came on screen, I grabbed my friend's arm and shook it like "yes, yes she's perfect!!" That gaudy makeup and fake eyelashes, along with the fake attitude, definitely made her character a huge success. Overall, I think those books were perfect to turn into movies, because the action in the book was begging to be brought to life. Of course the books are always better, but I loved both versions.

(Thanks, Tarma!)

Return to “Between the Pages”