What Do Books Mean to You?

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

What Do Books Mean to You?

Postby Sky Alton » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:03 am

Impossible question, right? But there are many purposes books can serve: an escape, a distraction, a way of learning about something new or just a source of pleasure. They can also mean a lot to us because of how we were introduced to them or because they were there during a specific part of our life.

Do you think books affect the way we see and act in the world? Perhaps you've even adjusted the way you perceive something because of what you've read. Would we be the same people we are now without them? I know for sure that I wouldn't be. And of course, we have to consider what books mean to different people, different places, different cultures. Historically some cultures rely more on verbal communications and/or are not so enamoured of the written word as others. In a modern, information centric world, do you think that will continue?

So, why do you read? Why do you think other people should? We’d love to know!
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Hannah R Thomas
No broom

Re: What Do Books Mean to You?

Postby Hannah R Thomas » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:07 pm

As a child, I used to hate reading and it has always been a problem for me to read. I thought of it as a waste of time and I always wanted to focus on my math skills instead. I saw it as hopeless, because of a learning disability I have towards reading comprehension. Now, I read like none other! I picked up a book: The Sage of Darren Shan, when I was about fifteen. Ever since then, I have been reading to prove to myself that even though I have a reading disability, I can still read. I want to be an example to others that no matter what disability you have, whether it is a physical, mental, or learning, you can still read. It is all of the matter in finding that "right book" that will draw you into a life of reading :)
Success just doesn't come and find you, you have to go get it yourself - Carmichael
Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one remembers to turn on the light - Albus Dumbledore

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:47 pm

When I was a kid, I read basically everything my parents had in the house. They had two small built-in bookshelves and a book shelf in the hallway. One of the built-in bookshelves had a full encyclopedia set! AWESOME. I loved to read, still do. I think, though, that much of my use of the English language came from reading books written in a very old-fashioned style (like from medieval times ...) when very young -- and it sort of stuck.

Books. Once when asked a question of what would I take to a desert island, or a mountain top, along with the regular survival gear (clothes, knives, cooking implements, tools) I said books. The only difficulty of decision was which one(s) I'd want.

Good for you, Hannah. I am very impressed with your ... stubbornness!

I can write more, later, about what books mean to me -- answer some of Sky's questions -- but this will do for now.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Scarlett Lacarnum
No broom

Postby Scarlett Lacarnum » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:51 pm

I can remember that I always loved reading and that my first book was Where the wild Things Are. When my older sister started school I was stuck at home and would read through all the children's books we had in the house. Also, I grew up in a military home and no matter how many houses we lived in or places we stayed, I always had these stories.

Even now I continue to read to escape into other worlds. I think reading, especially when you are older, helps cultivate your imagination and creativity. So many people lose that sense of wonder when they become adults.

Some books tackle difficult topics and I believe these help change perspectives. For instance, I have read memoirs about grief that have given me strength to overcome obstacles and put my own problems in perspective.

Let's not forget that some characters are so inspiring that readers aim to emulate them. I don't think I would be the same without books, without my favorite characters to draw from when times are rough.

I do think that written word will continue, even in modern tech times. When stories are passed down verbally it is easier for them to be altered. (Anyone who has played the telephone game can see that.) So even though oral storytelling is huge with some cultures, I would hate to think our written word has a chance of becoming obsolete any time soon. There are far too many of us book lovers.

Return to “Between the Pages”