Learning to Read

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Arianna Stonewater
Silver Arrow

Learning to Read

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:47 am

So we (my husband and i) have now finished books 3-6 and have started on book 7 of the Series of Unfortunate Events books.

One of my favorite things about these books is that the narrator and the characters frequently use large words, and most importantly, then explain what those words mean! (Note, sometimes the narrator explains what they mean only on this particular situation, but it's easier to infer the definition than with just reading the word).

I imagine as a child reading this, my vocabulary would have expanded exponentially while reading these, and I think that's just another reason this series is so great!

Prof. Amy Lupin
Cleansweep Two

Re: Learning to Read

Postby Prof. Amy Lupin » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:38 am

I read A Series of Unfortunate Events when I was quite a bit younger, and loved that aspect of the books. I used to find looking up words in a dictionary quite disruptive to the reading process, so it was a welcome change to be able to learn what large words meant while reading. While one can usually infer what words mean (although this does depend on one's comprehension levels), I've generally made a point to learn the exact meaning of a word so that I would be able to use it in conversation or writing (which is why I'm grateful that Kindles have built-in dictionaries). While I'm sure I learnt a lot of new words through A Series of Unfortunate Events, I distinctly remember learning the word "austere" (probably thanks to The Austere Academy). I tried writing a story after reading one/some of the books, and the main character in it was living with an austere aunt.

Return to “Between the Pages”