Book Review - The President is Missing

Maxim Trevelyan
Cleansweep One

Book Review - The President is Missing

Post by Maxim Trevelyan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:16 pm

Title of the book: The President is Missing (2018)
Authors: Bill Clinton and James Patterson
Series: No
Genres: Thriller / Mystery / Politics / Suspense
Audience: Young Adult on

Short summary of the story (from Goodreads):
As the novel opens, a threat looms. Enemies are planning an attack of unprecedented scale on America. Uncertainty and fear grip Washington. There are whispers of cyber-terror and espionage and a traitor in the cabinet. The President himself becomes a suspect, and then goes missing...

Good points / bad points:
I was pleasantly surprised after I read this book. I like James Patterson, so I might be biased, but I think I enjoyed this book the most out of all he wrote. It reads as all mystery and suspense books do, which is nice for a day of relaxation when you do not have to read with your brains, so to speak. While I am sure Bill Clinton was not the main writer, you can still see that he was involved in the work, because there is something to the President Duncan's actions that you know Clinton's experience with the job contributed to. The plot is engaging and always leaves you guessing. I also loved the twist at the end about who was the mole inside the White House.

One bad point that is not only particular to this book, but many other thriller and mystery books is that some of the actions of the characters seem almost fantastic, something that possibly could not happen in real life. However, it is not immersion breaking and you can still enjoy the book.
Prof. Amy Lupin
Tinderblast

Re: Book Review - The President is Missing

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:17 pm

I finished reading The President is Missing this morning and rather enjoyed it. I tend to watch a lot of thrillers, some political, but haven't read one in quite some time. The collaboration between Bill Clinton and James Patterson intrigued me when I first heard about it.

I had some issues with the pacing in that at times it was rather drawn-out, whereas other times things happened so quickly that I sometimes had to go back reread a section. Overall though, the storyline kept me engaged and the twist at the end took me by surprise.

"I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do."
- Edward Everett Hale

Return to “The Bookshelf”