No broom

Presenting Author - G. Norman Lippert

Post by Hannah R Thomas » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:21 am

Name of Author G. Norman Lippert

Main Genre: Science Fiction and Fantasy

Main Audience: Young Adult

Main Books:

James Potter Series
(The first five start with with "James Potter and....")
The Hall of Elders' Crossing
The Curse of the Gatekeeper
The Vault of Destinies
The Morrigan Web
The Crimson Thread

The Girl on the Dock: A Dark Fairy Tale (James Potter #2.5)
Harry's First Christmas
Merlin's Gift
Petra's Getaway

Other Books
Ruins of Camelot
The Riverhouse
Redeye
The God of Lost Things
The Freezing Season
Flyover Country

Short Summary of Author: G. Norman Lippert is an author who loves to write for fun and brings smiles to his readers. He slowly brainstorms sequels and standalones for he brings in interesting twists to his books. He reads other authors' books to think up his future books.

Good points: I have read all of his James Potter books (currently reading the last one: The Crimson Thread) and they are drawing. Even though these are "fan based," he is respectable about J.K. Rowling's work. He went by her wishes, not to make off money off these books, and therefore can only be found online. I do believe that each author does deserve a chance with their books and this is one of them.
Success just doesn't come and find you, you have to go get it yourself - Carmichael
Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one remembers to turn on the light - Albus Dumbledore
Hannah R Thomas
No broom

Book Review - James Potter #1

Post by Hannah R Thomas » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:33 am

Title: James Potter and the Hall of Elders' Crossing

Author: G. Norman Lippert

Genre: Fantasy, Action/Adventure

Audience: Young Adult & Childrens

Summary (Goodreads):
What’s it like to be the son of the most famous wizard of all time?

James Potter thinks he knows, but as he begins his own adventure at Hogwarts, he discovers just how much of a challenge it really is to live up to the legend of the great Harry Potter. As if it wasn’t enough dealing with the delegates from the American wizarding school and figuring out the mysteriously polite Slytherins, James and his new friends, Ralph and Zane, begin to uncover a secret plot that could pit the Muggle and the Magical worlds against each other in all-out war.

Now, with the help of Ted Lupin and his band of merry mischief makers (The Gremlins), James must race to stop a war that could change the world forever. His only hope is to learn the difference between being a hero and being the son of a hero

Review:
(4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads)

Starting with the overall, the plot turned out pretty good; however, I got to a point that I wish the author was writing about the adventures of James of his OWN that weren't intertwining with his father's past. On the brighter side of things, I'm glad that Lippert mixed things up: not all of the characters introduced were in the same house, it wasn't always about the adventures of the main characters but some 'side' characters were brought into the story, and there being some different point of views other than the 'first-up' main character (James Potter). As the story progressed, I noticed some errors in the writing, mostly missing quotation marks and a few words. Another negative was that it almost feels like the author is kind of 'replaying' some parts of James' life as it was with his father's life at Hogwarts. Not only that, there are some 'phrases' in here that I believe should've been left out that don't blend in with the magical world.

Thinking about the next generation, it described a couple of lessons that many should take into consideration: "just because a magical folk is born from a legendary witch or wizard, doesn't mean he or she has to follow in their parent's footsteps" and the other: "there are always bad magic folk out there to cause all kinds of trouble, even those who weren't even related to Voldemort in any way."(These two lessons mirroring our world.)

Finally, I was glad to see some reconnection with the previous characters. However, just mentioning George Weasley alone made me leak a few tears. It did surprise me a few minor, yet major, characters stuck around to this day.
Success just doesn't come and find you, you have to go get it yourself - Carmichael
Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one remembers to turn on the light - Albus Dumbledore

Return to “The Bookshelf”