Maxim Trevelyan
Cleansweep One

Presenting Author - Stephen King

Post by Maxim Trevelyan » Tue May 08, 2018 10:26 pm

Name of the author: Stephen King
Main genre: Horror / Suspense / Mystery / Supernatural / Science-Fiction
Main audience: Young Adult on

Main Books
King wrote a lot of fiction and non-fiction books, but amongst his most famous are:
  • Carrie
  • The Shining
  • The Green Mile
  • It
  • The Eyes of the Dragon
  • The Dark Tower series
  • Dreamcatcher
  • 11/22/63
Short summary of the author: Stephen King is an American author, also known as the King of Horror, writing primarily in horror, supernatural, suspense, science-fiction and fantasy genres. He wrote and published 54 novels, 6 non-fiction books and around 200 short stories, which sold more than 350 million copies worldwide. Many of his contributions of literature have been adapted to movies, miniseries, television series and comic books. King was also awarded many awards, one of the most prominent being Bram Stoker Award, World Fantasy Award and British Fantasy Society Award.

Good points / bad points: From what I read between the pages of his books and then on his views on writing, King’s stories are very, well story-driven, which is a very good thing in my opinion. That does not really mean that character development or descriptions fail spectacularly. Quite the contrary, with most of the characters, no matter who they are, you can easily get into their heads through King’s writing. He is truly the master of horror and suspense, since he does not really utilize the gore (at least not primarily) to depict it, but the emotion and build-up.

Bad points about the King’s writing style is mostly that he more often than not has weak endings. He has all these great ideas and twists that he presents to the reader, but can rarely finish them satisfactorily. Also, some longer books (like It, with more than 1000 pages) could do without unnecessary scenes or grandiose descriptions, to make them shorter, but still have a consistent story flow.
Thank you Dario!
Maxim Trevelyan
Cleansweep One

Re: Presenting Author - Stephen King

Post by Maxim Trevelyan » Tue May 08, 2018 10:46 pm

Title of the book: The Eyes of the Dragon
Author: Stephen King
Series: No
Main Genres: Fantasy / Horror / Fiction
Main Audience: Young Adult on

Short summary of the story (from Goodreads):
A fantasy of heroic adventure, set in the kingdom of Delain. It involves a king who is poisoned, a young and beautiful queen, a prince locked in a high tower while his younger brother assumes the throne, and an evil magician who harbours terrible secrets and malevolent plans.
Good points / bad points: This is one of the rare King books that is appropriate for younger audiences and for someone who does not frequently write for younger audience, I think King managed to really cater to them, especially if you are a lover of books like Goosebumps. This book is perfect for reading out loud, since the narrator is omnipresent and it gives you that feel of books being read by the fireplace.

Personally, the only thing I really did not like about the book is Flagg, the main villain. Not really any fault with his character or presentation, but the fact that he is also Randall Flagg from Dark Tower series (also known as Walter o’Dim), The Stand and many more other novels that are loosely connected in King’s Multiverse. I think that for a children’s book, it is unnecessary that it is connected to other works, but unless you are an avid reader of King’s work, you barely notice.
Thank you Dario!
Maxim Trevelyan
Cleansweep One

Re: Presenting Author - Stephen King

Post by Maxim Trevelyan » Fri May 11, 2018 8:42 pm

Title of the book: On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
Author: Stephen King
Series: No
Main Genres: Non-fiction / Biography / Memoir
Main Audience: Young Adult on

Short summary of the story (from Goodreads):
On Writing begins with King's childhood and his uncannily early focus on writing to tell a story. King next turns to the basic tools of his trade and culminates with a profoundly moving account of how King's overwhelming need to write spurred him toward recovery.
Good points / bad points:
This book was recommended to me by Sky and I am really glad I chose to read it. It is not my usual cup of tea, since I rarely read non-fiction books, but it is really interesting to gain a sort of insight into how an author writes his or her book. It gives you an inspiration to not only write, but also tells you that no matter how bleak things might be (as they were with King after his accident), if you have enough stubbornness and dedication to your craft, whichever it may be, nothing seems impossible. King also does not shy away from his faults, but freely admits them, so his honesty and not wanting to present himself as perfect certainly works for me.

I seriously did not have any problems with this particular book, but perhaps for other reads, it does include sad parts, mostly his accident and his emotional state after the accident, but it does get better.
Thank you Dario!

Return to “The Bookshelf”