Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Book Review: The Night Tourist

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:36 am

Title of the book: The Night Tourist
Author: Katherine Marsh
Series: Jack Perdu
Genres: Young Adult, Paranormal, Myth

Short summary of the story: Jack is a lover of the classics and of Latin and when he one day suffers from what should have been a fatal accident, he realizes that the way he begins to see the world has changed. By chance, he finds a token and makes his way into the underworld where he goes on a search to find his mother who died eight years previous. When he meets Eury, together, they discover a twist in their search all the while trying to stay away from Cerberus, the three headed dog that guards the underworld. A modern telling of the Orpheus/Eurydice myth.

Good points / bad points: I really liked the mythology mixed in. This was a quick read, and it was also enjoyable. I liked the little bits of mystery thrown in here and there. Anything to do with Greek mythology tends to interest me. The book also takes a look at life after death and the process of moving on, both for the living and the dead. I don't think there were any bad points. The Latin thrown in was nice to read and translate though translations are mentioned right after for those who are curious about what is being said. I would give this book probably 3 out of 5 stars.
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Return to “The Bookshelf”