No broom

Presenting Author- J.R.R.Tolkien

Post by Emanuel Hines » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:59 am

Name of the author:John Ronald Reuel Tolkien
Main genre: High fantasy
Main audience: For all ages
Main books: The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, The Lord of Rings
Short summary of the author:
Tolkien was English writer, poet, philologist, and university professor. He was close friend with C.S.Lewis, who had written Narnia Chronicles. Tolkien´s son Christopher did great work, when after father´s death published a series of works, which were not published yet (for example The Silmarillion). Tolkien can be identified as father of modern fantasy literature. The Times ranked him as 6th on the list "The 50 greatest British writers since 1945".

For me Tolkien is one of the world´s best writers, he created his own world, language, alphabets and many other things based on his own imagination and with sources from our world. He was working on all books for ages, and I appreciate authors which create one book more years, because you can see author´s evolution through the happening- from the begging till the end. Usually books which had been created during long period have special quality.
Tolkien is also a master for choosing his audience, you can not decide to which audience the books are meant for. The Hobbit is for children, but it can be read by adults also. Other books are harder to decide.
Good points / bad points: Tolkien had special writting style, as everybody has. He is really good at describing nature, things which are happening in the book; there are always so many details in his books. Sometimes this is good and it is the indicator of very good writer, but sometimes it does take away the tension of book, because waiting for something to happen is long.
Silas Hipolito Crist
No broom

Re: Present Author- J.R.R.Tolkien

Post by Silas Hipolito Crist » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:46 pm

Title of the book: The Fellowship of the ring
Authors: Joh Ronald Reuel Tokien
Series: Lord of Rings
Genres: Fantasy
Short summary of the story: It all starts in small village where live hobbits. They are known as mysterious, happy and always hungry creatures, that do not like to show themselves to anyone pretty much. Everything change when Gandalf, the wizard arrives and disturbs their quiet lifes; or at least Frodo's. Young hobbit is forced to leave his own home and run through Bree and into Rivendell, where meeting is held. The main and most important characters in the Middle Earth meet there to discuss the problem with One Ring; Sauron needs it to achieve his true power and destroy everyone. Finally it is decided that Frodo and his Fellowship shall go and destroy the Ring by walking into Mordor and throwing it into flames.
Good points / bad points:
Good points are many- it is very original and the story was planned in Hobbit. Tolkien uses perfect language and is very good at efecting on any reader. The series are amazingly written; it is not just bare writing and story, it is very well described so the reader can imagine everything. I can't see any bad points; altough some may say that the books are too long.
Silas Hipolito Crist
No broom

Re: Present Author- J.R.R.Tolkien

Post by Silas Hipolito Crist » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:10 pm

Title of the book: The Two Towers
Authors: John Ronald Reuel
Series: The Lord of Rings
Short summary of the story: Samwise Gamgee and Frodo Baggins are continuing journey towards Mordor by their own and apparently noticing that they are followed. It happens that the follower is someone very well known to them, it is Smeagol or Gollum as others call him because of his strange noises. After some time they decide to take him with them so he will help that come into Mordor. On the other side is the reamaining of the Fellowship which has been attacked by Uruk-hai. O
Creatures imprison two hobbits and the rest begin the hunt for this pack. Uruk-hai are destroyed by Rohirrim and hobbits manage to escape into Fangorn the forest, where they meet Ent Treebeard.
The rest of the group meet Gandalf again, altough they all though he is death. They travel to Rohan where Gandalf helps Theoden to escape the spell on him. Finally Saruman decided to attack Rohan with full force and Rohirrin take a shelter at Helm's deep. Luckily after hard battle Rohirrin are united with Ents and Saruman is defeated.
Frodo and Samwise meet Faramir and other Gondor Rangers, which help them and give them shelter.

Opinion: I have to say that this is my least favourite part, if I would had to decide. But I still think that it is brilliant. War is very tense and no one would expect such a marvelous ending. Gandalf's arrival is also something very beautiful if you are reading it for the first time. Frodo and Samwise' s yourney can be a little bit least interesting to read, but is corrected when meeting Faramir and with Gollum.
Silas Hipolito Crist
No broom

Re: Presenting Author- J.R.R.Tolkien

Post by Silas Hipolito Crist » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:31 pm

Title of the book: The Return of the King
Authors: John Ronald Reuel
Series: The Lord of Rings
Short summary of the story: Samwise Gamgee and Frodo Baggins are ending their journey tiwards Mordor. They are acompanied with Gollum for some time, until he disappear while trying to kill them with the help of giant spider. He also leads two hobbits to Minas Morgul. Meantime Faramir and his army are defeated at Osgiliath and they return back to Gondor.
Gandalf leads others to Isengard where they finally defeat Saruman and take him the palantir. Then they are heading for Gondor and meeting the Lord of Gondor. There they are preparing for war; Sauron is leading army out of Mordor.
On the path to Gondor Aragorn is acompanied with some of his friends and they all take the path of Dead Men of Dunharrow. They bow down in front of rightful heir of Gondor (Aragorn) and help them to defeat one part of Sauron's army.

Opinion: Third part of LOTR is really amazing and fun to read. So much is happening and I like that Tolkien is switching between the story of Frodo and Sam and on the other side the story of others from the Fellowship. It is nice to see how good defeat evil and many creatures; from humans to elves and ents, are connected towards the evil. It is also magnificent that Tolkien includes many additional content on the very end and some stories from the history are told.

Return to “The Bookshelf”