Book review- Eragon (Christopher Paolini)

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Emanuel Hines
No broom

Book review- Eragon (Christopher Paolini)

Postby Emanuel Hines » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:01 pm

Guidelines for posting Book reviews:
Title of the book:
Eragon
Authors:
Christopher Paolini
Series:
Inheritance cycle
Genres:
Fantasy, fiction
Short summary of the story:

Need to tell some things first. So in my childhood I read a lost of books- much more than other children of my age and even the books not proper for my age. There were a few books that I fell in love with and others which I liked. Harry Potter and Tolkien's books were in the first category.
Not long after this I discovered Paolini and Inheritance cycle. I fell in love immediately.

So. Eragon is the first part of Inheritance cycle written by Paolini.
The begging is really interesting and tense; event which is described is a little brutal for the beggining, but extraordinary and important for continuing story and main plot of the book.
Some would say that Paolini is repeating Tolkien- of course he is taking some informations, but he is not the only and these facts are not so important. The main plot is still truely original.
I also like the idea of poor farm boy, who doesn't know anything outside his small village; changing into the most important person in Alagesia. Evolution of Eragon is happening slowly through all of four books, so it can't be so easily seen only in the first part.

About main plot:
One day, while out hunting, Eragon hears an explosion in the woods. When he investigates, he finds a blue stone in the middle of the wreckage.

Back at the farm, he tells his Uncle Garrow (who has raised him from childhood) and cousin Roran about what he found. Stone cracks after some time and out pops a dragon; she-dragon. Then out pops a dragon.

When he touches the dragon, Eragon is overcome with a charge of energy. He seems to have developed a mental link with it, and he's got a white scar on his palm to show for it.
More; in the book.

Good points / bad points:
Eragon is not the best book in Inheritance cycle; I thought like this at least. The last one in the cycle is more interesting and filled with all the energy. I think that there was also some Paolini´s evolution through his writing; he became the best at the end.
Bad points? Maybe that Urgals are little to similar to orcs in Lotr.

Return to “The Bookshelf”