Presenting Author - Tamora Pierce

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Presenting Author - Tamora Pierce

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:23 am

Name of the author: Tamora Pierce
Main genre: Science Fiction/Fantasy, Children's books, Mysteries, Thrillers, Magic
Main audience: Young adult on
Main books: stories of Tortall, stories of Emelan
Short summary of the author: Tamora Pierce started writing stories when she was in the sixth grade. Having read The Lord of the Rings, and loved them, she began writing stories of fantasy and science fiction. She wrote the stories of Alanna as one book, but the parts were broken down to be four books because American editors didn't think that 'young adults' would be interested in reading thicker books. (She mentioned that she loved how JK Rowling showed that young people could and would read books of longer lengths!) She's lived in many areas of the country, has had many life experiences, some of which have found their ways into her stories. Some of the people in the books she's written are based on people she's known. (One of her boyfriends later on inspired Duke Roger; she says that you can tell how the relationship turned out ...) She currently lives in New York with her Spouse-Creature, Tim Liebe. She writes "My success is due to my readers, adults and kids, and I love being able to thank them in person."

I know we have book write-ups for books that she has written here in The Bookshelf, but since I'm going to be writing at least three book reviews (for the Reading Challenge, as well as Book Bingo), I thought I'd write a 'celebration' introduction for her, as an author, as well as writing about her books.

Goodreads write-up (obviously a little out of date):
I was born in South Connellsville, PA. My mother wanted to name me "Tamara" but the nurse who filled out my birth certificate misspelled it as "Tamora". When I was 8 my family moved to California, where we lived for 6 years on both sides of the San Francisco peninsula.

I started writing stories in 6th grade. My interest in fantasy and science fiction began when I was introduced to ‘The Lord of the Rings’ by J. R. R. Tolkien and so I started to write the kind of books that I was reading. After my parents divorced, my mother took my sisters and me back to Pennsylvania in 1969. There I went to Albert Gallatin Senior High for 2 years and Uniontown Area Senior High School for my senior year.

After graduating from the University of Pennsylvania, I wrote the book that became The Song of the Lioness fantasy quartet. I sold some articles and 2 short stories and wrote reviews for a martial arts movie magazine. At last the first book of the quartet, Alanna: The First Adventure was published by Atheneum Books in 1983.

Tim Liebe, who became my Spouse-Creature, and I lived in New York City with assorted cats and two parakeets from 1982 - 2006. In 2006 we moved to Syracuse, New York, where we live now with assorted cats, a number of squirrels, birds, raccoons, skunks, opossums, and woodchucks visiting our very small yard. As of 2011, I have 27 novels in print, one short story collection, one comic book arc ("White Tiger: A Hero's Compulsion") co-written with Tim, and a short story anthology co-editing credit. There's more to come, including a companion book to the Tortall `verse. So stay tuned!
My library has this write-up for Tamora Pierce:
Author Tamora Pierce was born in South Connellsville, Pennsylvania on December 13, 1954. She received a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Pennsylvania. Her first book, Alanna: The First Adventure, was published in 1983 and she became a full-time author in 1992. She writes fantasy books, mainly involving young heroines, for young adults. She is the author of numerous series including Song of the Lioness; The Immortals; Circle of Magic; Protector of the Small; The Circle Opens; Daughter of the Lioness; The Circle Reforged; and Beka Cooper. Her novel Battle Magic was a New York Times bestseller.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Re: Presenting Author - Tamora Pierce

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:54 am

Title of the book: Tortall: A Spy's Guide
Authors: Tamora Pierce, Julie Holderman, Timothy Liebe, Megan Messinger
Series: yes - many in the world of 'Tortall'
Genres: Fantasy, Young Adult, Fiction
Short summary of the story: This is a wonderful collection of prose all circling around the aspects, dangers, secrets and how-to of being a spy. The 'voices' of the different parts are not the same, and often have conflicting (and sometimes hilarious) points of view. There are some back-story informations in here about Thom (George and Alanna's son) and other people.

I particularly like the succinct summations of different people of the Kingdom that George writes. Daine has her own write-ups about the creatures of the different realms. As you might imagine, she looks upon them with a slightly different viewpoint than that of the regular human populace. At the end of the book, and it was so sad to get to the end of the book, I actually put it aside for a day so I wouldn't finish it ..., is a timeline of Tortallan Events. This is great and really useful!

Tortall: A Spy's Guide is semi-hot off the press (published October 31st 2017) and I'm not wanting to spoil it -- but I highly recommend this book to everyone who has read any of the Tortall stories.

Goodreads write-up:
The secrets of Tortall are revealed. . . .

As Tortall’s spymaster, George Cooper has sensitive documents from all corners of the realm. When Alanna sends him a surprising letter, he cleans out his office and discovers letters from when King Jonathan and Queen Thayet first ascended the throne, notes on creating the Shadow Service of spies, threat-level profiles on favorite characters, Daine’s notes on immortals, as well as family papers, such as Aly’s first report as a young spy and Neal’s lessons with the Lioness. This rich guide also includes the first official timeline of Tortallan events from when it became a sovereign nation to the year Aly gives birth to triplets. Part history, part spy training manual, and entirely fascinating, this beautiful guide makes a perfect gift and is ideal for anyone who loves Alanna, King Jonathan, Queen Thayet, Kel, Neal, Aly, Thom, Daine, Numair, and the unforgettable world of Tortall!
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Re: Presenting Author - Tamora Pierce

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:34 pm

Title of the book: Tempests and Slaughter
Author: Tamora Pierce
Series: Yes - book #1 of The Numair Chronicles
Genres: Science Fiction/Fantasy, Children's books, Mysteries, Thrillers, Magic
Short summary of the story: Arram Draper attends the Imperial University of Carthak, where he has many challenges to address and overcome. One of these is that he is talented but also is so much younger than most (or all) of the other students that he finds himself alone a lot of the time. Then he meets up with a couple of talented young students, and, while developing a friendship with them, finds his place as a student.
Good points / bad points: Bad points. This is book 1 of 3. Book 2 isn't out yet. THIS book just came out. Immense sadness for the wait for the next book (next two books)!
Good points: Wow. Just wow. I had no idea that this book would be so good and cover so much history of Carthak and of Tortall and of the people who had been mentioned, either directly or in passing, in previous books written of Tortall.
If you are using a book reader - here there be spoilers! Stop!
I was totally and utterly delighted to recognize the names of people mentioned in the Wild Mage books. Not only that, a book written by Farmer Cape is mentioned ... just a curiosity in passing! I squeeeed. Oh, yes, I did squee. Farmer Cape! As for other names mentioned, they were mostly from the Numair/Daine books -- Varice, Ozorne and Lindhall are a few. From the beginning of the book, there was a person mentioned by a name unknown to me and I thought 'this person reminds me of 'xxxxx'. Lo and behold, yes. That was a thing of incredible joy to me, that this person has been so well written in previous books that I recognized him and wondered, even before the hints were sort of blatant. :lol:

Goodreads has this to say about Tempests and Slaughter -- NOTE: SPOILERS
Arram. Varice. Ozorne. In the first book in the Numair Chronicles, three student mages are bound by fate . . . fated for trouble.

Arram Draper is a boy on the path to becoming one of the realm’s most powerful mages. The youngest student in his class at the Imperial University of Carthak, he has a Gift with unlimited potential for greatness–and for attracting danger. At his side are his two best friends: Varice, a clever girl with an often-overlooked talent, and Ozorne, the “leftover prince” with secret ambitions. Together, these three friends forge a bond that will one day shape kingdoms. And as Ozorne gets closer to the throne and Varice gets closer to Arram’s heart, Arram begins to realize that one day soon he will have to decide where his loyalties truly lie.

In the Numair Chronicles, readers will be rewarded with the never-before-told story of how Numair Salmalín came to Tortall. Newcomers will discover an unforgettable fantasy adventure where a kingdom’s future rests on the shoulders of a talented young man with a knack for making vicious enemies

Return to “The Bookshelf”