Book Review: Ella Minnow Pea

Prof. Amy Lupin
Tinderblast

Book Review: Ella Minnow Pea

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:20 pm

Title: Ella Minnow Pea
Author: Mark Dunn
Genres: Young Adult, Humor, Dystopia

The novel centers around the island of Nollop, which was named after the fictional inventor of the pangram 'the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog'. There is a tribute to the inventor and the pangram itself, however as letters begin to fall off this tribute, the island’s Council see it as a sign that they need to eliminate those letters from their speech and their writing. This story is told through letters sent between various Nollopians, which detail the events that follow.

I was looking for interesting dystopias, and saw Ella Minnow Pea mentioned. As someone who loves language and words, I was immediately intrigued by the premise. I found the novel to be extremely entertaining, especially when the citizens of Nollop had to work around the language restrictions in the letters they sent each other. The characters were rather interesting, although I felt that not enough information was shared about one or two of the characters, and rather than shrouding them in mystery, this detracted from the story. My main disappointment with the novel was that I found the ending to be somewhat anti-climatic. I’d still recommend the novel though.

"I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do."
- Edward Everett Hale

Return to “The Bookshelf”