Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Warp 10000

Book Review: Seven Wonders of Engineering

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:30 pm

Title of the book: Seven Wonders of Engineering
Author: Ron Miller
Series: Yes - Seven Wonders
Genres: Dewey decimal 624 -- book relating to engineering
Short summary of the book: This is a book written for young adults and an obvious attempt to get them interested in engineering. That said, I really enjoyed it! There was a fascinating write-up on each of the 'Seven Wonders' (and I was totally unaware that one of them even existed). Having just watched the Doctor Who 'Daleks in Manhattan' I was fascinated to read about the building of the Empire State Building. How there was a competition between a couple of companies to have 'the tallest structure ever built by humans'. Then I learned about the history of the Panama Canal and that too was just so interesting! I think my favorite, though, was to read about the Golden Gate Bridge. First off, I had always thought the name of it was because of the colour of the bridge. Nope! Then to find out why it was needed, how it was built, and the details of the planning and construction, with some very very good photographs accompanying the text -- it was a complete delight to read.
Good points / bad points: There was one place where a specific number was used to refer to 'how many' and a few pages later on another number was used to refer to 'how many' which was in direct conflict with the first one that I'd read. So, with that, I wonder how many other of the 'figures' used for data are accurate and how many are inaccurate. (However, the number in conflict might have been a typo too ..)

Goodreads write-up:
Engineers used science to create useful objects. The engineering wonders that are discussed in this books are the Empire State Building, the Panama Canal, the Golden Gate Bridge, the Channel Tunnel, the Saturn 5 Rocket, Three Gorges Dam in China, and microscopic nanomachines.
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... image by Susan Seddon Boulet
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Return to “The Bookshelf”