Aurelia West
Oakshaft 79

Book Review: Orange

Postby Aurelia West » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:44 am

Title: Orange: The Complete Collection, Vol. 1
Authors: Ichigo Takano
Series: Orange
Genres: Manga

Since this is just volume one of the manga, I figured I'd make a topic for it now and respond later with my thoughts on the second and final volume when I finish it.

This manga is about a girl named Naho Takamiya who, in the spring of her second year of high school, receives a letter from herself 10 years in the future. Her future self has some regrets that she'd like Naho to rectify for her in her timeline. Soon after Naho receives this letter, a new student named Kakeru transfers to her school and the letter's predictions begin to come true. The book then details Naho and her group of friends bringing Kakeru into their friend group and trying to save him from a terrible fate (the summary's words, not mine).

I really enjoyed the art in this book and the strong friendships built between the characters. However, this book deals with the idea of parallel universes and time travel in order to have this letter be able to make its way to Naho but then doesn't deal with that much afterwards, making the idea seem slightly unbelievable. Considering the main focal point is the bonds between friends though, this didn't really bother me too much.

Aurelia West
Oakshaft 79

Re: Book Review: Orange

Postby Aurelia West » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:50 pm

Here's my response on Orange: The Complete Collection, Volume 2:

I thought that the series tied itself up nicely, however in the end it definitely felt a little rushed. I still think it was an important story to be told, and would certainly recommend it to people, but the message was a bit too limited in my opinion. Essentially I think that it treated the situation with Kakeru as if it was the sole response one would have to the event that deeply effected him, and that it was only because of his friends that he was able to overcome it. I would have preferred the message to be one that would be able to be applied to a variety of situations. The art was of course as beautiful as it had been in the volume previous and did an amazing job at conveying the characters' emotions solely via their faces and I really liked the small background details Ichigo threw in.

Return to “The Bookshelf”