Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Book Review: Yarrow

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:44 am

Title: Yarrow
Author: Charles de Lint
Series: Ottaway and the Valley
Genre: Young Adult / Fantasy

I was wondering what to read after my last book for the Summer Reading Challenge. I wanted something of a whole different feel (and weight of book) from City of Heavenly Fire, so went to see what I had. Yarrow! I'd not read it in years and years and picked it up and walked into magic ....

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old;
Seek what they sought.

-- Matsuo Basho,
The Rustic Gate

Cat Midhir writes stories of fantasy, of adventure, of wonder. Then one day her stories, her flow, dries up. Depressed, scared, worried, she is afraid that the source of her is gone forever. It's not gone forever, but there is something, someone, who is stealing it from her.

Pros:
Charles de Lint is one of the most brilliant and evocative of writers ever. Mere pages into the book, I am in Cat's world and living there, feeling the world in which she lives. In every book he writes, this is the case. (If you ever want to be terrified out of your skin, read his book Mulengro.) He writes of the numinous; of what is real for many of the peoples of the earth.

Cons:
I had to go to Goodreads to find some 'Cons'. I didn't have any myself! One of the Con's in of persons writing reviews in Goodreads is that there are some characters introduced in the story whose story cycle is brief. Another is that, for those characters, there isn't a lot of depth of character for them.

This is what Goodreads has for Yarrow
From the author of Moonheart comes a modern classic of urban myth and magic. Cat Midhir has made a name for herself as the author of many popular fantasy novels. When a thief steals Cat's mysterious Otherworld -- a real place where she wandered at night with bright lords and the horned woman -- she cannot write and becomes trapped in the everyday world.
*Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* image by Susan Seddon Boulet *Avatar made by Amy*
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Return to “The Bookshelf”