Recent Book Recommendations

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Amy Lupin
Cleansweep Two

Recent Book Recommendations

Postby Prof. Amy Lupin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:42 pm

What are some of the books you recently recommended to someone? Or had someone recommend to you?

As for me, I recommended the following books to a friend of mine earlier today:

The "Mistborn" series by Brandon Sanderson
"The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss
"The Princess Bride" by William Goldman
"I Capture the Castle" by Dodie Smith
"The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde
"Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline

Share yours below!

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt

Re: Recent Book Recommendations

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:39 pm

I laughed when I read this, because one of those books Amy lists above -- I read it on her recommendation.

The book? Ready Player One. I even did a book review here. I can recommend it to everyone (but cannot recommend it for Monthly Book Club reading because of some of the words and concepts in the book which are not precisely HOL appropriate).

Amy also recommended another book to me (which I've started at least twice and set aside to have another go at it :ph34r: . But at least I'm going to have another go at it?) So it's really fine to get recommendations!

Also, a couple of someones recommended Inkheart for the Monthly Book Reading - and I'm glad I'm giving it another go. This time I'm not trying to squash it into the movie (which I love) and am rather appreciating it more as its own story.

What books would I recommend at this time? Hmmm. Oh. Here is a chunk of books, all set in the same universe.

The Mortal Instruments, a series by Cassandra Clare. City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels, City of Lost Souls and City of Heavenly Fire. I got started on them because I saw a book in a store ... Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy ... and kept thinking about it and went back and bought it. I loved the cover of it. What can I say? The only difficulty with this book is that in the time line of the stories, it's AFTER the preceding six books. So to properly appreciate it, I had to read the others first.

There is another trilogy set in that world, The Infernal Devices, the first book of which is Clockwork Angel. I couldn't get into that world (placed in London England in 1878) and story concept very easily. I read it and started the second of the series, Clockwork Prince, but put it aside because I was having to work at reading it. I'll give it another go, probably, but right now? Nah.

Oh, and then there is The Bane Chronicles. I very much enjoyed this series of novellas featuring Magnus Bane, the High Warlock of Brooklyn. Reading The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices before reading this is recommended if one is to properly appreciate the odd humour of some of these stories.
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Return to “The Bookshelf”