Moderator: Book Club Heads

Prof. Gustavo Flores
Silver Arrow

Book Review: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Postby Prof. Gustavo Flores » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:53 am

Title: Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
Author: J.K. Rowling
Genres: Fantasy

Brief Synopsis: I don’t think a synopsis is needed in this community, but just to make it formal, I will say that this book follows the adventures of Harry Potter, an 11 year old boy who finds out that he is a wizard and is invited to study at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. In there, he befriends Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, the inseparable trio that attends magical classes while leaving all kind of adventures, in a quest to protect the Philosopher’s Stone.

Opinion: I really didn’t want to write a review for a Harry Potter book, but since real life is becoming kind of hectic right now, I realized I wouldn’t have enough time to read another book for my Winter Reading Challenge.

Anyway, it’s become a sort of tradition that every December I find myself re-reading the first book of the Harry Potter series, and that’s because my love for the series started in December, 16 years ago, when I received Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone as a Christmas gift.

This year I read my very special Ravenclaw edition, which was the first time I read it. And I loved it! Most of the Ravenclaw facts mentioned there I already knew them, but still, it was nice to have my copy to show my House pride.

And regarding the story, I think that Philosopher’s Stone is my favorite book out of the seven. I mean, it’s the book that started everything, and it’s the book that made me fall in love with the series. And my favorite chapter will always be “Beyond the Trapdoor”, I simply love how Harry, Ron and Hermione work as a team facing all those magical challenges.

Return to “The Bookshelf”