Prof. Amy Lupin
Tinderblast

Book Review: Libriomancer

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:37 am

Title: Libriomancer
Author: Jim C. Hines
Genre: Fantasy
Series: Ex Magic Libris

Summary: Libriomancer is set in a world where magic and books are intertwined. Isaac Vainio is a Libriomancer, and has the ability to reach into books and draw objects from them. Libriomancers form part of a secret organisation founded by none other than Johannes Gutenberg.

Isaac works at a library, where he has the task of cataloguing books for their magic potential, that is, until he finds himself in the midst of a sinister plot.

Pros: What’s not to love about a book about books? There are numerous references scattered across the pages from Harry Potter, to Lord of the Rings and The Princess Bride to name a few. I found the ‘origins’ of certain magical species really interesting. I loved that Gutenberg, and even Bi Sheng, featured in the story.

Cons: The writing doesn’t always flow smoothly and details tend to get glossed over, which can be distracting at times. I’m only two books in, but I found the chapter prefaces in the second book were unnecessary as most of it could be inferred. I would have much rather that that space was used to give a history of libriomancy — or perhaps not included at all, as that too was rather distracting.

I’d still recommend the series though, especially if you love books!

"I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do."
- Edward Everett Hale

Return to “The Bookshelf”