Summer Reading Challenge 2018 - Questions

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

Summer Reading Challenge 2018 - Questions

Post by Sky Alton » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:59 pm

If you have any questions about the Summer Reading Challenge, please pose them here and a Book Club staff member will get back to you ASAP.
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)
Katelin Ross
Oakshaft 79

Re: Summer Reading Challenge 2018 - Questions

Post by Katelin Ross » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:24 am

I finished a book today after I pledged by number, but I didn't start it after my pledge. I started reading it within the time frame of this event though. Does it count? It isn't book club book of the month appropriate for all ages (due to subject matter that parents would want to pre-read before allowing their kids to read). Can I still do a review on it with that speculation stated?
Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

Post by Sky Alton » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:51 pm

Katelin Ross wrote:I finished a book today after I pledged by number, but I didn't start it after my pledge. I started reading it within the time frame of this event though. Does it count? It isn't book club book of the month appropriate for all ages (due to subject matter that parents would want to pre-read before allowing their kids to read). Can I still do a review on it with that speculation stated?
It's alright to use that book and to post about it with that stipulation, though please try to keep HOL suitability in mind when picking your other books. We really appreciate you being so conscious and careful of the subject matter though. :)
(Av/sig by Amy!)
Prof. Missa Matz
Cleansweep Two

Re: Summer Reading Challenge 2018

Post by Prof. Missa Matz » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:27 pm

Does 150,000 word fanfictions count?
Prof. Amy Lupin
Tinderblast

Re: Summer Reading Challenge 2018

Post by Prof. Amy Lupin » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:51 pm

Prof. Missa Matz wrote:Does 150,000 word fanfictions count?
Unfortunately fan fiction won't count towards our reading challenges.

"I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do."
- Edward Everett Hale
Amaryllis Storm
No broom

Post by Amaryllis Storm » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:28 am

Instead of having multiple threads for each book, can I post one thread say Summer reading list 2018 and list the books and information under that thread as I finish each book?
Water can flow or it can crash.
Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Post by Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:00 am

Amaryllis Storm wrote:Instead of having multiple threads for each book, can I post one thread say Summer reading list 2018 and list the books and information under that thread as I finish each book?
Hi Amaryllis

You have already posted a pledge for 5 books in here. What you do is write up a summary, like it says in Summer Reading Challenge 2018
To qualify for the award, you’ll need to post something around the Book Club for every book that forms part of your pledge. This doesn't have to be just a series of reviews: you might present a new author on The Bookshelf or start a conversation about something more general you noticed in several books on Between the Pages.
Be sure to read The Book Shelf Overview for posting criteria for your reviews.

After you read a book, you post your review, then you edit your pledge post with the name and author of the book, and a link to the review you wrote. You do that with each book you read. :) (There are other people who are posting the reviews of the books they've read so you can use them for an example of how it's done.)

We look forward to reading your reviews!
*Avatar & Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* ... image by Susan Seddon Boulet
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris
Hannah R Thomas
No broom

Post by Hannah R Thomas » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:41 pm

One thing that I have noticed that hasn't been brought up are graphic novels or manga. Would these be acceptable as read books?
Success just doesn't come and find you, you have to go get it yourself - Carmichael
Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one remembers to turn on the light - Albus Dumbledore
Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

Post by Sky Alton » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:53 pm

Hannah R Thomas wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:41 pm
One thing that I have noticed that hasn't been brought up are graphic novels or manga. Would these be acceptable as read books?
Yes, graphic novels can absolutely count! :D
While online fanfiction and the like doesn’t count, you’re free to mix it up with some re-reading, audio books or graphic novels.
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Return to “Book Club”