World Book Day

Moderator: Book Club Heads

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

World Book Day

Postby Sky Alton » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:04 am

Thursday March 2nd is World Book Day 2017! Well, actually, you may well celebrate World Book and Copyright Day on April 23rd (but why not do both?).

World Book Day is a yearly event where children are encouraged to develop their love of books, receiving book tokens and taking part in school activities to help them along. But it’s also a day for all of us to express our love of the written word and to think about how books have helped shape us and the world we live in. Oh, did I mention there’s also the chance to dress up as your favourite characters? Everyone loves dressing up!

Now, I’ll let you in on a secret. Here at the HOL Book Club…*whispers*… WE LOVE BOOKS. Shocking, right? Who’d have thought it? But we do. We’re absolutely crazy about books. Ever tried to get into Prof. Amy’s office? You can’t get the door open more than a foot because of the piles and piles of books all over the floor. We love books. So we leapt at the chance to use World Book Day as an excuse to shout that love from the bookshelves.

We’ve come up with a few discussion threads over on Between the Pages for everyone to share their book related experiences, loves and thoughts. Check them out! Join in!
-What Do Books Mean to You?
-Favourite Characters
-Writes of Passage (Which books have had a profound impact on you?)

And, to fuel our recently revealed book habit, we’d love it if you could introduce us to one of your favourite books or authors with a review on The Bookshelf, a new discussion in Between the Pages or maybe just your contribution to a topic we already have drifting about the place. Feel free to stop by Quill and Ink and Ink Splatters as well.

Any questions? General thoughts on World Book Day? Feel the need to flaunt your fabulous costume idea to us? Post below!
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Kendra Givens
No broom

Re: World Book Day

Postby Kendra Givens » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:59 am

How awesome that I share my birthday with a holiday recognized around the world celebrating the literature that brings us all together!!

In honor of World Book Day, I thought I'd post a few of my favorite quotes about books. Feel free to share yours!

“Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for each dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn't carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life.” ― Stephen King

“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.” ― Charles William Eliot

“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” ― George R.R. Martin
His name is Sir Floofington Puffpuff III

Return to “Book Club”