The Most Satisfying Success

Discussions about your interests outside of HOL
Will Lestrange
Cleansweep One

The Most Satisfying Success

Post by Will Lestrange » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:42 pm

Sometimes easy activities are fun... but there are few things in HOL as satisfying as the moment you finally figure out something that had been previously an impenetrable challenge!

So I’m asking you: what was the most satisfying moment for you over the past year in terms of completing any sort of challenge in HOL? (This can be coursework, an activity, or even a moment on the Quidditch Pitch!)
Will Lestrange
Cleansweep One

Re: The Most Satisfying Success

Post by Will Lestrange » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:48 pm

The activity-related success that I enjoyed the most happened down in the dungeons. Cody loves giving musical challenges in which he posts excerpts from songs and asks you to identify them, but during Slythmas he altered the songs a bit to make them nearly unrecognizable.

After a lot of listens, I was able to identify about half of them... until I discovered the trick. The songs all sounded like they were dubbed over by “Alvin and the Chipmunks”, so I Googled to figure out exactly how this was done... there are Muggle devices that allow you to alter the “frequency” of the song to change its sound. So I guessed that if I changed the “frequency” back, it would sound like the original! I tried this hypothesis on one of the songs I did recognize, and three tries later I was rewarded with the sound of the original recording! Repeating this transformation on the other songs... and I could finally finish Cody’s task! Even if I managed to accomplish many other things that year, this song identification has to be my most satisfying HOL moment of 2017-8.
Kendra Givens
Oakshaft 79

Re: The Most Satisfying Success

Post by Kendra Givens » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:45 am

I think I'd have to say my most satisfying success (though this year has been huge in a lot of ways) was the time during a Quidditch game I got my first (and only) hit. Quidditch isn't my forte on here by a long shot, and I usually go into games praying I can at least know something, even if I don't type it. I don't remember what game that was or even the question, but I remember seeing my name on the screen for the hit and I had to do a double-take. My teammates were all cheering, and it was just the smallest thing that brought a smile to my face. I even got a team spirit award for that one little hit.

Return to “Discussions”