Dementors

Discussions About Anything HOL Related

Moderator: Kendra Givens

Arianna Stonewater
Cleansweep One

Dementors

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:36 pm

Now that we're halfway through the term, let's talk about Dementors!

This is the time when students tend to get really busy and overwhelmed, both in school and life outside of school. Homework gets put off as other things come up, and then suddenly you realize you haven't looked at the class project or final at all!

When things start to get hectic and aren't cooperating (like the weather. I mean, it's April 17th, we should be well into spring right now, but it is snowing as I type this!!) what do you do to drive those pesky dementors away?

I'm not really a meditation type of person, but I like to make a list of all that needs done because checking items off the list makes me feel better. I also like to take a minute and indulge in something sweet like a brownie sundae or a bag of whatever seasonal candy is around (right now I'm finishing the last bag of my Easter Robin Eggs).

What about you?

Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Re: Dementors

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:12 pm

I also love list making! I make priority lists of what needs to be done and what can stay more optional. I balance HOL and RL this way. RL stuff always comes first of course, but a lot of my HOL duties are very important to me. Point opportunities, RQT and anything in house (Go Bronze Nest!) keep up at the top of my lists usually. And I write down everything, so I don't miss things. Crossing them off as I complete them feels really good. Plus, I hate seeing that squiggly line I draw through activities I was unable to complete due to the lower priority on my list and lack of time.

However, sometimes, I find myself being slightly overwhelmed with all I have to do or even just want to do. I do meditate, and it is really helpful. I also like being in nature, so anytime I can get outside to relax my mind, I try to do that as well. I always make sure I have things planned that can give my mind a rest such as botting (yes, it helps), writing, reading, or even listening to classical, jazz or Celtic music. Taking breaks are crucial to keep from getting overwhelmed, and I'm not the kind of person who likes taking breaks, but every now and then I'll hear myself say, "Wow, I really wish I could catch a break right now."

I cannot say this enough, but self-care is so important, especially around this time of year for students as we have finals coming up. The above activities I mentioned are all self-care things for me. I also love essential oils and will put a few drops around my room for relaxation or underneath my pillow to help me sleep. Sleep is the big one for me. I don't get enough of it, and I know that. My body is also very used to it with only 3-4 hours a night if not less. But sleeping helps the brain process information, and doing this also helps to keep one from getting overwhelmed and feel more energized the next day.

That was long (but this is a topic I'm very familiar with!) lol
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Return to “Students Lounge”