Weird Food Habits

Discussions About Anything HOL Related
Kendra Givens
Oakshaft 79

Weird Food Habits

Post by Kendra Givens » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:30 pm

As I was sitting and eating my scrambled eggs with ketchup this morning, I was contemplating how some people would find that disgusting and others might say "oh yes, that's delicious, I do it all of the time!" I then thought about how my dad thinks it's normal to each a peanut butter sandwich with any meal (even spaghetti) and I've always thought it odd. My grandmother put butter on literally everything she ate, which I also found to be strange. Which makes me wonder...what kind of quirky food habits do you have? Do you share the same food habits with anyone else?
Gail Allen
Oakshaft 79

Re: Weird Food Habits

Post by Gail Allen » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:42 pm

I have found out that putting salted butter on honey bread and the likes is not considered to be normal. I have no problem at all with it, but the German side of my family tells me that that is so strange and not at all good.

I also eat raspberry jam under chocolate spread. (Which I've been told I also need to explain what is: We have thin sheets of chocolate that we will put on bread.) If I put it on white bread, I love adding raspberry jam to that.

I also eat really dark ryebread with so many seeds in it that it's nearly impossible to see the bread that's basically just there to make sure the seeds don't entirely fall apart.
Most people find that disgusting.
Especially when I tell them that as a child I still ate this bread with chocolate sheets on top. Never mind the mix of tastes from sour dough and dark bread with the sweet taste of chocolate.

I also like salted licorice with salmiak (ammonium chloride) in it. I even used to eat a powder that to a large degree simply consisted of the ammonium chloride mixed with a little lichorice. And I like this added to melon, cake batter, and even as crunchy bits in milk chocolate.
Thank you Cassie for the signature!
Shadow Gaunt
Oakshaft 79

Post by Shadow Gaunt » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:52 pm

I love bread with egg, butter, and a bit of sugar on top. I’ve heard that this combination is very strange, but for some reason my taste buds extremely enjoy it. Another weird habit I have is when I eat blini (pancakes), I eat them with sour cream and maple syrup. Another combination on blini is strawberry jam and maple syrup. I don’t know how many people find that appealing, but these food combinations are awesome and I encourage everyone to try them (I know I’ll be trying some of the above).
Shadow Gaunt
"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."-Benjamin Franklin
Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Post by Shiloh Adlar » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:19 am

People find my whole lifestyle weird with me being a raw vegan. There aren't many people who understand how it's possible to live only on raw foods, but I've been doing it since I was born. Often when I tell people that I don't cook anything, they look at me funny. Then I get the question, "but how do you get your protein?" *facepalms*

Other than that, I do have a certain way I eat. I'm not sure how I developed it exactly, but I eat my foods in color order when I don't have a lot of things mixed together. So if I have a bunch of fruit for breakfast, I would eat the strawberries first, followed by mandarins, the banana, perhaps a green apple, blueberries then blackberries. Colors of the rainbow. Again, there's no particular reason for it, but I've been doing it for quite a while.
Shiloh Adlar, Seventh Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire
Alexander Brighton
No broom

Post by Alexander Brighton » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:25 pm

I am pretty much the oddball in my family. I'm told that I have strange eating habits. I put ketchup on almost everything except cereals, fries, and speghetti. Put it on rice, meatballs, potatoes, meats, almost everything else. I don't like eggs so not sure how that would taste with ketchup. My older brother doesn't like sitting beside me at supper times. Except I don't really like ketchup on fries. When I go to restaurants, i always order either a poutine or chicken fingers. And aside from chicken fingers and the very odd hamburger (with nothing on it but ketchup), I don't usually eat meats unless It's at home or a relatives house. Also don't like my food touching, especially if there is gravy or sauce involved.
Kendra Givens
Oakshaft 79

Post by Kendra Givens » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:20 pm

I thought of another one! I've grown up with prepackaged containers of chocolate pudding from the grocery store that comes with a vanilla layer in the middle (so the pudding goes chocolate/vanilla/chocolate). I eat one layer at a time and am very careful to make sure that I don't overscoop and get too much chocolate in my vanilla. Does anybody else do this or have similar tendencies with a different form of food layers?
Hannah R Thomas
No broom

Post by Hannah R Thomas » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:44 pm

I'm an oddball when it comes to making my breakfast sometimes, mostly eggs or pancakes. I try new things that I can. This is more of an omelette thing, but I do like putting your not so typical vegetables into scrambled eggs and omelettes, like peas, corn, or celery. On top of this, I try to add in anything regarding herbs, but try not to go over the top.
Success just doesn't come and find you, you have to go get it yourself - Carmichael
Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one remembers to turn on the light - Albus Dumbledore
Shadow Gaunt
Oakshaft 79

Post by Shadow Gaunt » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:04 pm

Oh! Hannah’s post reminded me of my preferences with omlettes. I love putting sweet peas inside or with eggs, it’s so yummy. I wouldn’t say I would consider this food combination “weird” for I’ve certainly seen it before.
Shadow Gaunt
"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."-Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Discussions”