How did you meet your best friend?

Discussions About Anything HOL Related

Moderator: Kendra Givens

Gail Allen
Oakshaft 79

How did you meet your best friend?

Postby Gail Allen » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:40 pm

Harry, Ron and Hermione all met on their way to Hogwarts, not knowing that that would be the start to an incredible friendship that would last throughout their school years and beyond. It's hard to know when first meet people whether these will be our friends or not. Of course sometimes we know, like Harry meeting Draco and already knowing they would not be friends upon first meeting him. But his first encounter with Hermione did not exactly forecast a great friendship either, and yet one grew from that.

So what about you? How did you meet your best friends?

I met my best friends online actually. Several years ago on a forum discussing books we all loved and fanfiction pertaining to these books. A few years later we first met in real life and we are now best friends even though we live very far apart. True friendships know no borders.
Thank you Cassie for the signature!

Shadow Gaunt
Oakshaft 79

Re: How did you meet your best friend?

Postby Shadow Gaunt » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:20 am

Interesting enough, I met one of my best friends in a math club. I was taking a math club and since there were only 8 people, we all talked a bit about each other. I was sitting across from him and as he said that he was from my town I was extremely surprised and asked what grade he was in.

Turns out we were in the same grade and school, but our paths just never crossed.

After that day we became extremely close. Others sometimes joke that were attached at the hip. But we just hit it off right away and we both have similar interests. He introduced me to Dungeons and Dragons, later which I turned into a small larp. I introduced him to Rubik’s Cubes, and even though he doesn’t show much interest, one day he will. Definitely.

So I’d say that we are very very close and I’m saddened to think that in a few years we will likely never see each other again. But I know my memories will last.

(I’m no good at writing coherently it seems. I am quite sorry)
Shadow Gaunt
"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."-Benjamin Franklin

Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:29 am

I didn't have any friends growing up except for a couple maybe at ballet. None of them fell into the best friend category. I guess you could say now that one of my best friends I did meet at the academy though because we dated for a while, and he is still one of my biggest supports. The other place I have met my best friends is right here on HOL. I have always said that HOL is like a second/third home to me simply because I have friends here and feel welcomed and happy. I have met a few of them in person which has been wonderful, and I hope to meet more in the future.
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Kaitlyn Nightingale
No broom

Postby Kaitlyn Nightingale » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:07 pm

I have quite a complicated history of best friends. When I was tiny, I liked playing by myself and didn't really get along with the kids in my village - not that there were many. In primary school, I thought that I had a best friend but when Ileft for a different school, it turned out that the friendship wasn't as special. We have barely talked since. I guess that we were just classmates by most kids' measures.
I am currently graduating from a grammar school where I met a girl you could say is my best friend. Together with another girl from a different school - my longest lasting close friend whom I met in my singing classes, we form this best-friend triangle. But if I'm honest, there's too much girl drama in this friendship. I'm not about that life, I always got on with guys very well because of this. So when I know the girls won't get offended, I can be honest and say that my best friend is a guy from Mexico I met on Facebook. We've known each other for 4 years and in October 2016, we spent a day together because he was studying in France and he was able to come visit me. He's now trying to find other opportunities to come back to Europe so we may finally hang out more! Sadly, we're both busy with our studies so we don't talk as much as we used to. But we're still close and I value his advice and opinions greatly. We promised to go to each other's weddings if nothing else. Friendship knows no distance!
ka1645 | Hufflepuff | 2nd Year | Spiffy

Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Nimbus 1000

Postby Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:10 pm

Thanks to former Slytherin DHoH Opal Curare, I first met my best friend in 2013. She invited me to join her SQL team, The Avengers, co-captained by... Cody Lewis! (Apparently, because I was in Ravenclaw at the time, Cody was skeptical about asking me to join their team.) After a successful SQL season, Cody and I continued to work together when we were both invited to become part of the Quidditch Board.

Then, my sister was put on a project where she had to commute to Texas every week. My mom wanted to go visit one of her friends there and kept trying to convince me to go with her. For months I said no, saying I would have nothing to do there. Finally, I realized that Cody lives in Texas. He agreed to meet up with me, so we first met in person in 2014.

Since then, we've met other HOL'ers, including Amy Lupin, Shiloh Adlar, Hope Stark, and Will Lestrange. We've gone on adventures, including driving halfway across the country from Texas to New Jersey. And now I get to hang out with my best friend every single day!

Prof. Cody Lewis
Cleansweep One

Postby Prof. Cody Lewis » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:30 pm

My story is slightly different from Scarlet's.

I was worried (not skeptical!) that she had heard about my tendency for troublemaking and wouldn't want to join a team with me on it. Our first interaction was when I sent her a message thanking her for giving me a chance. "Don't blow it," she said. Spoilers: I didn't.

When SQL ended, I signed up for a volleyball class. I'll have a reason to talk to Scarlet now, I thought to myself. Our conversations usually went something like, "ARE MY FOREARMS SUPPOSED TO HURT THIS BADLY?" "Yeah."

I think she became my best friend when she visited me. We were super awkward at first, but after hanging out for an entire weekend, it was like I had known her my entire life.

Kaitlyn Nightingale
No broom

Postby Kaitlyn Nightingale » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:16 am

↑↑↑↑↑ Stop cutting onions, people! ↑↑↑↑↑
ka1645 | Hufflepuff | 2nd Year | Spiffy

Will Lestrange
Cleansweep One

Postby Will Lestrange » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:44 pm

I move around a lot (the 31 months in my current place is my longest in an address as an adult, breaking the old record of 25 from last decade) so I’ve internalized that all of my friendships will eventually become online friendships, even if that’s not how we met in the first place.

I have met Scarlet, Cody, Amy, and Opal (all current or former Slytherin professors) IRL in the 2016-7 timeframe... but I’d say my actual closest friends come from different sorting communities (where you post an application on a journal site and the members vote on which house you belonged in). Seeing an applicant who really impresses me with their Slytherin traits *always* makes me want to get to know them better - and in some cases it ended up leading into lifelong friendships (think 7-9 years and still counting, depending on the person!)

And yes, I’m sometimes the type of Slytherin that will list an online friend as a personal/professional reference, and vice versa, before we ever meet up in person...

Alexander Brighton
No broom

Postby Alexander Brighton » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:38 am

I met my friends mostly at school. I was in the same class as 3 of them. We all had things in common, that's how we became good friends. I actually met one of my friends under the school buses. My friends and I were hiding from the school bullies under the buses during lunch time. It kind of became our hangout spot and one day a kid asked if he could join us. My last friend I met right in my backyard. I was playing in my tree house when another kid came over and asked if he could play.

Return to “Students Lounge”