Snow Days!

Discussions About Anything HOL Related

Moderator: Kendra Givens

Astrid Black
No broom

Snow Days!

Postby Astrid Black » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:31 am

Winter brings us cold white fluff from the sky and blankets the world in quiet beauty. Children wake up to hear that there is no school and joyous cheers resound from all corners of the Earth. The day is suddenly yours! There's a tv show you've been meaning to binge on Netflix, snowmen to be made, snowball fights to be had, hot cocoa to be drank, and a bed that is just calling for you to catch more zzz'z. In a day full of possibility, what do you do?

My snow days all started out the same. Getting up to get ready for school and my mother telling me never mind because school was canceled. I'd always feel that momentary rush of surprise and then run to the window to look out into the white wilderness of my backyard. I'd always stay in my pjs until at least 10am. Usually we'd watch tv with mom and have breakfast in the living room, which was a once in a blue moon thing. Then I would eventually beg to go outside and bolt into the snow. It varies on how long I'd spend out there but the record, according to my mom, was when I was about six. There was a blizzard that year and the snow was taller than I was. I spent the day digging tunnels and being tossed into the snow by my uncle. Still, as the sun sets so must antarctic adventures. I'd always come in to a warm bath and fresh pjs. We'd have dinner and end the day with cocoa and snuggling with mom on the couch while we watched history channel. I think that was my favorite part of the snow days. It was the beginning and ending with time with my mother.

Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Re: Snow Days!

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:44 am

That sounds like a lovely time, Astrid.

Growing up where I did, we got snow quite a bit. I'm far away from that now in a place that never receives snow except for a couple weeks ago when we had an extremely rare occurrence of it. I think my favorite part of snow days were similar to yours. When they would cancel school which did not happen often unless it was really bad, I would spend time outside with my brother. I remember building a snowman and making snow angels. My dad would get in on snowball fights with my brother and me, and my mom would watch us from the patio. My dad one year snuck one up on her though, and she was so mad at him.

When it would start getting dark, or we would get too cold, we would go inside and Mom would fix us some hot tea after we changed clothes so we wouldn't get sick from the cold and wet clothes we had on from the snow. We would gather in front of the fireplace (electric like the Dursley's so sorry no floo network connection), and watch a movie together as a family. Those were always really good days.
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Resyarrina Elora
Oakshaft 79

Postby Resyarrina Elora » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:27 pm

My country have no snow season, we don't have winter at all, we have dry and rain season.
Sometimes we got school cancelled too, mostly jn rain season, but instead of fluffy white snow, we have brown water near your knee. No one want to go outside except they have to, or if they have rubber boat or anything that can float.
But that also give you many free time at home, watching movie, do fun time with family, and the good thing is all your family will be at home with sk much free time to spend. Well the bad thing is also because they all there. :P

Vanessa Tilley
Oakshaft 79

Postby Vanessa Tilley » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:58 pm

We actually had a nice snow day last week! I wanted to make a snowman but I do not like going out in the cold since I HATE shoes. If you ever met me, you would discover that I was wearing flip flops. I ONLY wear flip flops even when there is snow on the ground and yes I often get snow on my feet and they freeze a bit.

So, since I don't make snowmen, I will go out on the porch and grab snow off the railings and make snowballs that I then throw at our Dachshund Star. She loves and is obsessed with balls in any shape of form. She loves to catch snowballs and chewing up clumps of dirt when you throw dirt around when gardening.

After playing with our dogs, I spend the day inside either painting and/or reading depending on how much time I have left in the day. I love how beautiful the outside looks when the snow is everywhere so it inspires me to create some form of art. I also love reading a book with a nice cup of hot chocolate or hot tea.

Finally, I end the day spending time with my husband watching movies of TV shows just whatever we are in the mood for. On snow days, we often eat either vegetarian chili or vegetable soup.

Emanuel Hines
No broom

Postby Emanuel Hines » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:52 pm

Snow... In my country there WERE only a few days with a little snow on the ground and it wasn´t even good enough for making snowballs or building a snowmen. It was really sad this year with the amount of snow, maybe some of it is coming soon (hopefully). I remember that a few years ago everything was white all the winter, but now there is nothing left :unsure:
It is also sad because my country is not like the dry and hot; it has the season of winter.

Shadow Gaunt
Oakshaft 79

Postby Shadow Gaunt » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:13 pm

When there is a snow day I usually stay indoors. Although I love playing in the snow, and I especially love skiing, I should not be outside in the cold for long. Thus, on snow days i usually stay at home with my family. I especially love to curl up with a book, and I usually spend my snow days doing absolutely nothing productive. A snow day for me is like a pause in my life, a small day of nothing to worry about and perfect relaxation.
Shadow Gaunt
"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."-Benjamin Franklin

Alexander Brighton
No broom

Postby Alexander Brighton » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:29 pm

Snow days are the best days in Winter. There are times that school gets out early if it doesn't start till late or if there's a flash freeze which happened last week. but they don't like doing that. So a lot of times there will be a storm warning in effect and even if it isn't supposed to start until lunch time, they will often close school anyway. I like snow days because it gives me more time to do HOL homework and activities. I also like playing video games on storm days too. Making snowmen and snowball fights are always a lot of fun too. We actually had a mini storm during the night so school is on a 1 hour delay today :).

Return to “Students Lounge”