Celebration Memories

Discussions About Anything HOL Related

Moderator: Kendra Givens

Astrid Black
No broom

Celebration Memories

Postby Astrid Black » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:28 am

This time of year is so jam-packed with different celebrations that it's a little hard to keep them straight. No matter if you celebrate Christmas, Saturnalia, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Yule...they all bring us together with friends and family and often times gives us a wonderful memory to cherish far longer than any gift could last. What is your favorite holiday memory? Who was there? What made is so memorable? Where were you? Share a beautiful memory from this wonderful time of year.

My favorite holiday memory was actually the first one since my grandmother passed. She had passed earlier that December and everyone was still really down. The family was all still in town and everyone was jammed into my mom's tiny three bedroom house. Twenty plus adults, ten or so kids, and several animals. It was so crowded. No one was in the mood to celebrate but then my great uncle told us this story about my grandmother from when they were kids. Everyone started laughing. It started this chain reaction of stories. Everyone told a story about my grandmother. Even though I'd spent Christmas with her every year, that was the first year I felt closest to her. There was so much joy and laughter in those stories that it broke through that cloud of grieving. I learned so much about this woman that had always been present in my life. It's a Christmas I'll never forget, and one I cherish all the more because I'll never have another like it.

Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Re: Celebration Memories

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:52 am

That is a beautiful memory to have, Astrid.

I can't say that I have any good holiday memories after my brother was killed. My parents tried really hard to keep the traditions going, but it never worked out. I stopped going to see family and to Christmas Eve mass, and they didn't even surprise me with a visit this year because I told them I didn't want them here. So all of my good memories are from quite a while back. I guess my favorite would probably be the year we did have all the family together and we sat around the table playing games. We were at my grandparents house and it was mainly the immediate family so there weren't too many of us. After we had eaten lunch, we got out dominoes and played this game called Train. It would usually always come down to my grandfather and me. We were both really good. Nothing special happened about it really, but I remember it being a time where I was really happy. My grandpa passed this year as did my uncle and my brother has been gone for a while, so Christmas was just another day to me even though I did celebrate the Solstice. But thinking back on good memories is helpful and nice. It makes me miss them a lot, but it still makes me smile.
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Kendra Givens
Oakshaft 79

Postby Kendra Givens » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:53 am

I'm having quite the mental block on past Christmas memories right now, but I can say this year has been quite special. I moved in with my boyfriend over the summer, and we were able to have our own tree combining decorations from both of our lives onto this tree. My mom bought us a beautiful star for the top of our tree, and his mom gave us a tree skirt to use. I've never had a real tree because my mom didn't prefer them, but Jake and I got a real tree because he loves them. We were able to spend Christmas morning with each other, cooking breakfast and opening our gifts to each other before heading out to our parents' homes to celebrate with them. It's definitely a brand new stage of life and it was very special for both of us.

Resyarrina Elora
Oakshaft 79

Postby Resyarrina Elora » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:15 pm

I spent the Christmas holiday with my friends, we go to the cinema and had lunch together, we also go windows shopping and then had evening coffee together. They are my friends since long time ago, we've been together for more than 10years and we bond like family.

The past year had been so much issue in mu RL, from job to the family matter and get to hang out with my friends actually soothe the hard thing.

I also had big dinner with my family, we do BBQ, we make hot pot and we blow candles on the chocolate cake.

Vanessa Tilley
Oakshaft 79

Postby Vanessa Tilley » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:03 pm

I am not really a fan of most holidays aside from decorating because I love decorating. The only Christmas memory I can recall right now is the last Christmas we had with my mother. We have never been big on Christmas because my mom always said why only give gifts once a year just give them whenever. I spent the day with my parents watching our traditional Christmas movies. My mother bought me the complete Gilmore Girls series. I love that show because it reminds me of my relationship with my mother but sadly, I have not been able to watch the series since. One day :)

Return to “Students Lounge”