Real Life Jobs

Discussions About Anything HOL Related

Moderator: Kendra Givens

Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Real Life Jobs

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:45 am

Because I have been consumed with my RL jobs as of late, I was curious as to what everyone did if you have a job already. I know some of you are probably still in school or not old enough to have a job, so what would be your dream job? (Remember, don't give any specific names to places that could reveal your location. Type of work is just fine.)

Right now I am working a seasonal retail job, and it is a lot of fun. I worked there a while back due to the flexible scheduling but quit to take on other adventures. However, because I enjoyed this particular place and the management, I decided to come back this year for the holiday months to bring in some extra money. My main job is as a caretaker for an elderly lady who is so very sweet. I really only do medication management and help around the house when necessary and of course, giving her friendly company.

I have two places that I volunteer at which I love very much, one is at the hospital where I sit with different patients and give them company and the other is at a hospice center where I either perform clerical tasks or sit with the clients while their families are away so they're not alone and their family can run errands or often take a much needed break.

My dream job is to work in infectious disease epidemiology with a focus in tropical medicine. I've known I've wanted to do this for a little while now, and it fascinates me. I can't wait to actually go to grad school and begin studying it more in depth.
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Astrid Black
No broom

Re: Real Life Jobs

Postby Astrid Black » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:13 am

I currently work in a retail distribution center. It's really busy during the holidays but it's not bad. My favorite part is that while I am doing my work I'm in an area that allows headphones so I've been listening to audiobooks. I've made it through three ancient mythologies (Greek, Roman, and Norse respectively) and am making my way through a Song of Ice and Fire series (finally!).

My dream job however is Josh Gates' job. Get my archeology degree and go searching for ancient and lost places/myths. That'd be the most amazing adventure I could ever hope to have for a job. I love history and I'm all about digging up myths and finding the real places they're based on. I wouldn't need the tv show or anything but Josh Gates with Adventure Unknown? Yeah, my dream job.

Baring that I think getting a degree in ancient mythologies and working in a field for it would be a wonderful second. Again, I love history and all the different mythologies always fascinated me. I think I would be very happy working in that field.

Scarlett Lacarnum
No broom

Postby Scarlett Lacarnum » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:35 pm

In RL I do law enforcement in the court setting. It’s great because the hours are normal and we get weekends and holidays off. I also write for a travel company on the side.

My dream job was to be an Olympic ambassador BUT they don’t get a salary. They are wines and dined. So I wish they got paid and that I could do that. :D

Vanessa Tilley
Oakshaft 79

Postby Vanessa Tilley » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:57 pm

My RL job is housewife. It is the best job there is. I get to stay home all day playing with my little zoo at home and getting to work on my hobbies like painting, drawing, calligraphy, and making crafts in between cooking and cleaning. It is a lot of fun. With 5 dogs and 3 cats, there is never a dull moment in this house. I couldn't ask for anything better and I am so lucky that my husband supports me in this choice.

Kendra Givens
Oakshaft 79

Postby Kendra Givens » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:48 am

My RL job is being a High School Counselor (they're not called "guidance" counselors anymore") and I absolutely love it! My initial career idea was to be a Forensic Scientist because I find DNA fascinating, but then I discovered that working in a lab wasn't for me. I graduated with my Bachelor's in Science and then decided I really wanted to be in School Counseling at the high school level to help other students decide what they want to pursue in the future. This is my third year and I would be happy if I did this the rest of my life.

What I'd really like to do when I grow up is to be a Philosophy or Spanish Professor, but I don't know if that Doctorate is going to be happening. I majored in both of those fields in college along with the science, and Philosophy is honestly my favorite subject. It's fun to have discussions that really make you think and consider ideas you may not have previously. I've spoken Spanish my whole life, so teaching that would be fun too. It's amazing to experience others beginning to learn another language. Who knows, maybe I'll be a university professor and a HOL professor at the same time?

Resyarrina Elora
Oakshaft 79

Postby Resyarrina Elora » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:07 pm

I was back office staff officer during weekday, where my job is dealing with permit and documents, and meeting with clients or upper management people, but i decide to quit a couple month ago and start to built my own small food business. I keep my weekend job as a mandarin private teacher. I love this job and actually doing this for hobby.

But the decision to quit my job still make me waver with regret sometimes, i miss the time when i don't need to worry and paycheck still come. I hope make right decision tough, because aside from the regular payment, i enjoy this job better.

Return to “Students Lounge”