Nobel Prizes

Discussions About Anything HOL Related

Moderator: Kendra Givens

Gail Allen
Oakshaft 79

Nobel Prizes

Postby Gail Allen » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:02 pm

Each year on the 10th of December the Nobel Peace prize is awarded. But there are actually four additional prizes given out by the Nobel Foundation: The Nobel prizes in Chemistry, Physics, Literature and Physiology/Medicine.

Other organizations have created similar prizes for other fields, that are generally referred to as the Nobels of their field even though they're not associated with the Nobel foundation.

That got me thinking; since people are inventing 'Nobel Prizes' for different fields, what prize would I invent?

And I think would make the Nobel Prize in Motivation/Encouragement.
Almost every single person who reached greatness in one way or the other had support from at least one other person, and I think those people who stand by others and support and encourage them to go for their dreams are far too often overlooked and ignored. So I would make this Prize for them. I think principally among people to nominate for it, I would name my middle school sociology teacher. She gave me so much confidence and trust in myself and I can see that she still does that for the students she has now. She would deserve this award very much.

But that's just my award.
What award would you invent if you could make up your own Nobel Prize? And do you already have a winner (or nominee) in mind?
Thank you Cassie for the signature!

Shadow Gaunt
Oakshaft 79

Re: Nobel Prizes

Postby Shadow Gaunt » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:23 pm

I would create a Nobel Prize in mathematics. Believe it or not, there is none. Although there are many other categories, I think I would create a mathematics category first and then create more.
Shadow Gaunt
"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."-Benjamin Franklin

Kendra Givens
Oakshaft 79

Postby Kendra Givens » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:00 pm

I think I'd have to make a Nobel Prize for Perseverance.

I think like that primarily because through my work I am always amazed that some of my best students have the hardest life stories, and it's always amazing to see some of my struggling students pull through whatever they're going through to achieve greatness in the end. Many winners of Nobel Prize awards have been through a lot to get to where they are in their field of study, so perseverance is already at the heart of the award. Why not award it to someone who may not be notably famous, but has come a long way in their life's journey?

Will Lestrange
Cleansweep One

Postby Will Lestrange » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:35 pm

Shadow Gaunt wrote:I would create a Nobel Prize in mathematics. Believe it or not, there is none. Although there are many other categories, I think I would create a mathematics category first and then create more.

Math has a very interesting story as to why it has no Nobel Prize! (It's probably false, but I choose to believe it anyway). It does, however, have two prizes of its own that essentially supplant the Nobel Prize: the Fields Medal and the Abel Prize.

While the award for the Fields Medal is essentially a joke (15,000 Canadian dollars), its prestige, fame, and difficulty to get (only awarded every 4 years - and if you turned 40 the year before the prize is given you're ineligible) make it considered even more of an accomplishment than the Nobel. And the much newer Abel is more of a direct 'translation' of the Nobel; given as a true 'lifetime achievement award' (though some would call the Fields a lifetime achievement award) with a monetary prize nearly as large as the prize as the Nobel prize.

I feel that if a Nobel were to suddenly start being given out for math, it would actually be considered an inferior prize to the Fields Medal and the Abel Prize!

Vanessa Tilley
Oakshaft 79

Postby Vanessa Tilley » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:20 pm

As someone who is interesting in art, I would create a Nobel Prize for the world of art. Art is able to touch people in a special way just like music can so why not include art. There are so many artists out there that make wonderful pieces and I think they deserve some recognition too.

Return to “Students Lounge”