Vegans/Vegetarians Unite!

Discussions About Anything HOL Related

Moderator: Maxwell Shadow

Shiloh Adlar
Oakshaft 79

Vegans/Vegetarians Unite!

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:27 am

I think most of HOL knows at this point that I'm raw vegan because so many people have been interested in what I can eat and what I can't and what that even means. But I'm curious, how many others here on HOL are vegan or vegetarian and for how long? I was raised raw vegan, so I've been eating like this my whole life. I have many reasons behind why I continue doing it even though I'm an adult now and live on my own and could certainly venture out and try new foods if I wanted, but I do have strong beliefs behind it as well as health reasons that I find beneficial for my body to continue eating this way.

Now let's keep in mind, this is not a place to debate beliefs or to bicker about people who eat meat because let's get real, everyone makes the choice for themselves on what they eat and they have that right. This is a no judgement zone.

And for those who aren't vegan or vegetarian who may be checking this thread out of amusement, have you ever thought about going vegan/vegetarian or are you planning/trying to do so currently? Again, this is a no judgement zone! I'm hoping to be releasing a column soon that focuses on vegan foods, specifically raw vegan as that's what I am, but it will be something for those people who are wondering and asking about all of my amazing recipes such as SHILOHbowls (thanks Katelin) and other little treats.
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Hanna Inari
No broom

Re: Vegans/Vegetarians Unite!

Postby Hanna Inari » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:05 am

I'm not a vegan and not even a vegetarian, but I'm really close. I have never eaten most meat products, and those which I eat I buy once a month at most. I don't really like them and the thoughts that these things once were a part of a creature that was running or flying around aren't pleasant for me.
I have problems with eating lots of products but most of them are those of animal origin. I feel that vegetables are more "safe" to eat, it's easier to understand when they are spoiled and so on.
I had thoughts about becoming a vegan. In the ideal world, where all the products have vegetable analogs and don't cost so much, and can be bought in every shop, I'd definitely buy vegan products and I'd feel more comfortable in general. But in real world, I have enough problems with eating as it is, and when I go to any cafe, I only have 1 or 2 things that I can eat there, and being vegan only adds more problems and I'm not prepared to this.

Katelin Ross
No broom

Postby Katelin Ross » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:14 pm

Hey Shiloh mentioned me! Yes, Shilohbowls are amazing, everyone should try one at some point! They are especially great when it is HOT outside!! I look forward to reading your corner Shiloh! If your recipes are like your Shilohbowls, then they will be yummy!!!

Thanks to my Secret Santa, Zoki, for the awesome signature!!!

Rowan Oswald
No broom

Postby Rowan Oswald » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:42 pm

I was raised vegetarian and still am. I have gone through periods of being strictly vegan, usually at times when I've had massive food issues, but I'm currently just vegetarian. I am planning on cutting out dairy again, because ethically I can't justify it and it doesn't make my body feel good. I might slowly transition to being fully vegan, I'm undecided. I'm definitely interested in reading your column though Shiloh!
Ravenclaw/\First Year/\They/Them pronouns

Shiloh Adlar
Oakshaft 79

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:57 pm

Hanna, it's nice to know of someone else that has issues with food. I got sick a while back and was in the hospital for a time and while I was there, they didn't have the stuff to cater to a raw diet, so I ended up having to eat just regular vegan foods during that time period. We found out that I can't have a lot of different of things because they made me really sick after eating them. They did this blood test to check for allergies, intolerances and sensitivities, and a lot of things showed up on it. Thankfully where I live, we have a lot of produce and even raw vegan restaurants/juice bars, so I don't have too much issue should I ever go out with friends or family. The area you live in can definitely make a huge difference and it also makes a difference depending on what you're allergic to.

Katelin and Rowan, I can't wait to share all of my recipes with everyone! It's going to be so much fun! I'm sure I'll have a ton for you both to try!
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Return to “Students Lounge”