Favourite Word?

Discussions About Anything HOL Related

Moderator: Maxwell Shadow

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

Favourite Word?

Postby Sky Alton » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:40 pm

Are lives are saturated with words. Seriously, they’re everywhere. In spite of that, we often take them for granted or else get frustrated because we can’t find the right one

But if you’re like me, there’ll be the odd occasion where a word leaps out at you and you have to say it to yourself a couple times, as though it’s the first time you’ve seen it. I know people on IRC have often had to put up with me taking a moment to obsess about a word they’ve used (delinquency and mellifluous spring to mind).

There’s just something magical about the weight of some words on your tongue or maybe in the meanings they conjure up. So, which is your favourite (hol-appropriate) word right now?

K
Last edited by Sky Alton on Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Kendra Givens
No broom

Re: Favourite Word?

Postby Kendra Givens » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:04 am

The first word that came to mind was "superfluous", because I love the way it rolls of the tongue and the connotation to it. Sometimes it's not enough to say "that's too much information" or "that's too many words". I'm sure a lot of professors in their grading are finding a superfluous amount of writing/detail/information in response to their questions from us long-winded writers. I know my housemates training me to be a prefect are about to receive a superfluous amount of words in this week's assignment. It's a good word to use either sassy or not so sassy.

I'm glad we amuse you with our words, Sky :)
His name is Sir Floofington Puffpuff III

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:33 am

eleemosynary

I ran across this lovely word when reading The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling by Henry Fielding.
Chapter i. — The introduction to the work, or bill of fare to the feast.

An author ought to consider himself, not as a gentleman who gives a private or eleemosynary treat, but rather as one who keeps a public ordinary, at which all persons are welcome for their money.

I have no idea why it tickles me and continues to tickle me but it does.
*Siggy by Cheeky XVIx!Cosmo* image by Susan Seddon Boulet *Avatar made by Amy*
"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Kathryn Blackthorne
No broom

Postby Kathryn Blackthorne » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:52 pm

I was listening to a podcast with a political commentator I like when he used the word magisteria. I had to look it up and now I can't forget it. What an interesting word :)

Marie Dark
Oakshaft 79

Postby Marie Dark » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:09 pm

A "PLETHORA".... means a large or excessive amount of something.... So with that said, I usually tell people.....
I know a Plethora of "useless" information..... :rolleyes:

Austin Ollivander Black
Oakshaft 79

Postby Austin Ollivander Black » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:49 pm

I always thought the word verily was nice I always like the way it sounded also it sometimes sounds better than saying truly or for sure or certainly.
Image RQT 2017/18

Resyarrina Elora
No broom

Postby Resyarrina Elora » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:53 pm

My favorite word is "Wicked"
hehehe.. just feel so cool about that.

Return to “Students Lounge”