Where are they now?

Discussions About Anything HOL Related

Moderator: Kendra Givens

Arianna Stonewater
Cleansweep One

Where are they now?

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:23 pm

As the new Beauty and the Beast continues to do well at the box office, more and more articles are being written about it. One such article pointed out that there is now an entire generation who knows Emma Watson best not as Hermione Granger, but as Belle.

Emma is not the only young Harry Potter actor who has done other things since Harry Potter.

Daniel Radcliff
Harry Melling
Rupert Grint
Bonnie Wright

and of course you have the seasoned actors who did many things before Harry Potter and continued on after Harry Potter.

Tom Felton
Matthew Lewis
Maggie Smith
Robbie Coltrane
Fiona Shaw
Richard Griffiths
Warwick Davis
John Hurt
Alan Rickman

When someone has done something as big an 8 movie series (regardless if they were in all 8), do you think its easy for them to transition into new characters (like anyone who has ever been a Doctor?) or should they just keep to that character and travel the Con Circuit?

Austin Ollivander Black
Oakshaft 79

Re: Where are they now?

Postby Austin Ollivander Black » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:26 pm

That I think depends on their acting ability as well as the way they mature and adapt their craft. For example I didn't not see it hard for Daniel to do so because he wanted to branch out and expand his craft especially by doing theater in West End and Broadway. It may be difficult but it is possible. If you stick to your character and do the con circuit you will never grow and your career will be over.
Image RQT 2017/18

Resyarrina Elora
Oakshaft 79

Postby Resyarrina Elora » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:51 pm

well, i think that what an actors have to face.
But i have met some actors that just do the similar characters all of their acting careers and nothing wrong with it,
i think it just kind of choice what path do you want to walk.

Vanessa Tilley
Oakshaft 79

Postby Vanessa Tilley » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:26 pm

I think this is the struggle for a LOT of actors. I know Harrison Ford was and is quite angry that he made Star Wars and Indiana Jones because he felt that he became type casted in that type of role. I am not a Harrison Ford fan.

I am more impressed with those actors that are able to break out of that type casting because they are very talented such as Gary Oldman, who I think can play ANY role and succeeds.

If I were an actress, I would not want to be type casted either so I wouldn't want to ride on the Con Circuit because I would want to expand and grow as an actress.

Emanuel Hines
No broom

Postby Emanuel Hines » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:07 pm

If I were them, then I would fell totally confused. "Being" one character for so many years- I mean, growing up as he/she. Then switching the character that you play is absolutely not easy and can be sometimes hard to know, especially if the actors are taking only one movie character, what means that they need to adapt only for short period, of what they are not used for.

Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:35 pm

I think it depends very much on their ability as an actor. Do they have the versatility they need to move easily into another role, or do they allow themselves to become trapped in that character? After playing a particular character for so many years, I suppose it would be easy to become trapped in that role, but I know Emma Watson filmed different things while also filming Harry Potter such as Ballet Shoes. I think that certainly helps to break out of a character by doing different roles to show that you're not just good at one particular type of character. Type casting is very common, and I don't think I would want to be cast into the same kind of role over and over again just because I played that type of role for seven or eight years. And sometimes, maybe the actor has to go out of their own way to do an independent production to show that they can do other roles, too if that's what they want. I think actors have a choice in it to an extent. (This coming from someone who knows a few actors and even the dance world where you can get cast as the same type of role over and over and never get much different... think Nina from Black Swan if you want a reference).
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Gail Allen
Oakshaft 79

Postby Gail Allen » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:40 pm

They should absolutely do other things if they want to.
But I also think if the type of character you've been doing is a popular archetype and you can get work as that type of character, and you don't want to branch out to other things, I don't think it's wrong either to do the same type of role over and over and essentially allow yourself to become typecast. The problem with typecasting is only really there if the actor or actress are not happy with it, or can't get work enough in that type of role to make a living.
I personally would probably rather like sticking to a certain type. I like security and predictability and I often like to rehash the same kinds of things in the books I read and actually also with the roles I play when I play RP. So I think I'd be rather happy being typecast to be honest. As long as it didn't impact my ability to find work.
Thank you Cassie for the signature!

Return to “Students Lounge”