Leadership: random thoughts

Discussions About Anything HOL Related

Moderator: Maxwell Shadow

Will Lestrange
Silver Arrow

Leadership: random thoughts

Postby Will Lestrange » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:27 am

During my time in HOL, I've had the chance to take on a few roles with strong leadership elements (even if I've never been the "person ultimately in charge"). I've seen all sorts of types of leaders and leadership styles both here in HOL and in real life as well.

As such, I pose the following question to readers of this forum: what do you think are the characteristics of a good leader? (I've had a few discussions about this with Prof. Amy Lupin, and I think it would be worthwhile to see what others have to say about the topic; leadership styles that may work well for one person may go over badly for another!)

Sky Alton
Cleansweep One

Re: Leadership: random thoughts

Postby Sky Alton » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:25 am

Fascinating topic, Will!

I've had a couple of leadership roles (School Council years ago and coordinating NaNoWriMo for my region last year) and it was always as part of a team . So I guess my main take away from leadership thus far is adaptability and give and take: knowing when to step forward and take charge so that something gets done or you do your fair share of work and when to leave it to someone else to deal with. Simultaniously, you have to be ready to jump in if someone else is having problems and can't cover that particular duty for whatever reason. Encouragement and light-heartedness is also a large part of my leadership style-I like people I'm organising things for or in charge of to like me and feel they're getting something out of my being there (as I'm there for them, not for myself). That's not to say I haven't had to take a harsher stance but then, I learned the value of diplomacy, clear explanation of what was expected and not saying what perhaps I'd quite like to to someone when they kick off. That being said, you also have to know when to shut that person down to stop it effecting others.

I'm not sure my 'nice' leadership approach would work in a lot of situations (I'm not even sure it's worked perfectly for me and there have certainly been incidences when I've felt like shouting to make myself heard) but I guess it's something you learn as you go along.
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Austin Ollivander Black
Oakshaft 79

Re: Leadership: random thoughts

Postby Austin Ollivander Black » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:34 pm

I see first hand everyday poor leadership by people in charge however I see one person everyday that when he gets to run things is a great leader. To me a good leader is someone that thinks and acts with a degree of moderation. Someone that can be stern when necessary but also relaxed. One that inspires respect from their lessers not demands it. Also someone that when they say they are going to do something they actually do it. I feel the one thing that makes a great leader is someone that will never ask their lessers to do something they themselves would not do. Inspiring by doing and not just telling. Finally the thing that really makes a good leader a great leader is someone that gets involved and rolls up their sleeves and is willing to get their hands just as dirty as everyone else.
Image RQT 2017/18

Return to “Students Lounge”