What's your boggart?

Discussions About Anything HOL Related

Moderator: Maxwell Shadow

Joey Stark
No broom

What's your boggart?

Postby Joey Stark » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:53 pm

Last year I took the wonderful class: Confronting Your Boggart by Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis (which I recommend). It went through a lot of the mechanics of fear and and led to me staying up far too late one night looking up unusual phobias! It's interesting how once small life event, one that you might not even remember, can cause your body to react as if you're in danger when you're near something harmless!

So! I'm curious, what's everyone's fears? Does anybody have a phobia? Do you know why/how you developed it?

I'm mildly embarrassed to admit that I have a phobia of clowns. Writing the word is even unnerving! It's been almost life long and I'm still not entirely sure of how it started. I have a suspicion that my much older siblings may have started it off by making me watch one on an episode of a ghost story showfor kids (a bit like goosebumps but I think it was called 'Are you Afraid of the Dark?'). After that, my parents remember me having nightmares about them and even now, despite being a fan of horror films, I need to look away when one is on screen - even if it's a kids show.

I've since heard it's not all that uncommon a phobia which makes me wonder if there's something instinctively unnerving about them.
Credit to Maxim! ^

Arianna Stonewater
Silver Arrow

Re: What's your boggart?

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:07 pm

I have a fear of suffocation; I can't sleep with anything near the front of my face, and i don't like wearing masks that cover my nose. when i was younger it manifested i had nightmares about being stuck in the folds of larger people/animals or being sat on and squashed (my mom is pretty sure this is from cartoons where larger people sat on small animals or kids and flattened them like pancakes). I also don't like sleeping on bottom bunks in case the top one falls on me for the same reason.

Sky Alton
Silver Arrow

Postby Sky Alton » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:22 pm

Mines probably humiliation (simple things like walking into the wrong room, calling a wrong number or mistaking a stranger for a friend). The possibility of that happening makes me freak out and the memory of it haunts me for years afterwards. I'm not sure where it came from aside from the fact that being blind makes it a lot harder to avoid.

Another kind of interesting fear which isn't really a fear is the scent of elderflower. The reason behind that one is because I had an elderflower air freshener in my hospital room during chemotherapy and my brain has associated the scent with being ill.
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Violet Diamandis
No broom

Postby Violet Diamandis » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:59 pm

Dead bodies, falling, and suffocation/being crushed. Not to freak anyone out but I knew someone that died that way and recently a building near me spontaneously collapsed (no one was in there, though) so it is a real fear! Also, animatronics. I was terrified of them long before Five Nights at Freddy's. Once my grandmother put me up on the stage at Chuck. E. Cheese, by the animatronics and I screamed until she set me down . Westworld did not help my fear of them!
Also, after reading what Arianna Stonewater wrote, I thought that I have a hard time witg bunk beds because the top triggers my fear of falling and the bottom triggers my fear of being crushed. I'll just sleep on the floor, thanks!

Alexander Brighton
No broom

Postby Alexander Brighton » Sun May 28, 2017 11:26 pm

My main phobia is wasps/bees. I am completely scared of them, when i see a bee in the distance, I will stand still and sometimes step further away, if it comes too close or suddenly appears right beside me, then I'll start hyperventilating and try to get away from it, if I see a wasp, i automaticaly hyperventilate and run the other way. if i hear so much as a buzz, i start freaking out. but there is a reason for it. when i was younger i was stung by a wasp and had a bad reaction to it. i ended up in the hospital. I heard that if a person is allergic to something, the first reaction is usually the mildest, the next reaction is often worse.

interesting fact, when i was like 3 or 4, my main fear was Raggady Ann haha.

Kaitlyn Nightingale
No broom

Postby Kaitlyn Nightingale » Mon May 29, 2017 1:28 am

Spiders. Absolutely spiders.

This is the most common phobia around and no wonder, those creatures are really scary! I find them interesting but since I can't even look at them without shivering and knowing I'll see them at night in my nightmares, I never manage to study them more closely.

I think that the main reason why I developed this fear is that my brother, who is two years older than me, was scared of them as a child. He can handle the smaller ones now and only sometimes freaks out if a huge one appears inside our house, but I'm even scared of the little ones. If I see one and there's noone I could ask to kill it around, I listen to fast music and that helps me fight the fear and smash the spider with something. Normally I would hate to cause a living creature to die, spiders are the only exception. Please don't judge me?

Gosh, just thinking about this makes my back itch as if there were spiders on me.

Austin Ollivander Black
No broom

Postby Austin Ollivander Black » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:56 pm

Seeing myself old and alone. That's always been my biggest fear.
Image QWC 2017

Return to “Students Lounge”