Traditions

Discussions About Anything HOL Related

Moderator: Maxwell Shadow

Arianna Stonewater
Silver Arrow

Traditions

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:57 pm

One of my favorite things about December is all of the traditions! Here are a few of mine:

-picking out and cutting down a real tree for my parent's house
-visiting my many different grandparents houses with my cousins
-making red velvet white chocolate chip cookies for cookie swaps

and of course

-Dr. Who Christmas special!!

What kind of traditions do you celebrate in December?

Katya Snow
No broom

Re: Traditions

Postby Katya Snow » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:10 pm

i haven't done it in a while and i'm really starting to miss it. being from the north, my heritage is heavily Scandinavian or Nordic so we had deep rooted traditions.

we'd go over to my great grandmothers house on Christmas eve and have Chili(weird i know but we did this every single year) and Oyster Stew and take turns making lefsa. a potato based 'crepe' of sorts that was nearly paper thin that you then smeared with butter and sugar and rolled up. it was fantastic. we'd get to unwrap the presents fro Great Grandma that night and we'd go hoe jam packed full of rosettes, Divinities and caramels.

it's a tradition that i haven't done since she passed away a few years ago and i really miss it, but since i moved south no one knows what Lefsa or Oyster Stew is anyway! xD (i'm just glad no one ever asked me to eat lutfisk!) we'd go every year the week before Christmas to the Church Potato Pancake and Lutfisk dinner. the potato pancakes where fantastic! the Lutfisk?... not so much. Great Grandma would eat well more than her fair share of the foul stuff. she was nuts, i'm sure of it... or didn't have a sense of taste. never thought to ask.

Sky Alton
Silver Arrow

Postby Sky Alton » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:38 pm

We used to go to my aunt and uncle's place way out in the countryside. It's a gorgeous old converted farm house but it always felt (and looked) more like a manor house. They don't have any kids so I'd get spoilt wrotten-mainly because my aunt adores Christmas. There were log fires in at least 3 rooms and her Christmas trees were so large they filled the entire end of the room. I'd go around the house, searching for my favourite decorations (glass sweets, Christmas music boxes, woven reindeer) because she'd always put things in different places every year for variety.

We don't do that anymore (mainly because they no longer live there and I think the new owners might look a bit askance if I turned up searching for wickerwork rudolfs) and I've kind of been at a loss for traditions since. All I've really had is the baking of Christmas cake and Christmas pudding with my mother but that tends to be in October or November (to give it time to mature) so it's hard to get propperly festive. This year though, we're going to spend Christmas with my Grandad in Wales so I'm hoping to start a few new ones.

I do have a rather untraditional tradition though. My friends always hold 'Christmas 2.0' a few days after-another chance to overload on turkey (and I mean a lot of turkey, I got presented with quarter of a bird last year) and get very, very silly. It usually ends up with the worst secret santa ever (sample present a giant glittery squirrel in bright orange) and board games that no one is really in any fit state to play.

Wow....I did not mean to write that much. I love reading about everyone's traditions (especially food, tell me more about the food). Oh and I second Dr Who!
"Does the Walker choose the path or the path the walker?" -Garth Nix
(Av/sig by Amy!)

Arianna Stonewater
Silver Arrow

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:47 am

Katya Snow wrote:we'd go over to my great grandmothers house on Christmas eve and have Chili(weird i know but we did this every single year)

That's not weird at all! At my church, we have two Christmas eve services; a family service at 4pm with the Story of Jesus pageant, and a 10pm Candlelight service. Between the two services the staff and other people attending both services go to one of our staff's houses and have a chili party!! Its one of my favorite things to do :)

Gail Allen
No broom

Postby Gail Allen » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:37 am

We usually get a tree on the 22nd or 23rd and decorate it all together. Then it stands past new year and until the 6th of January, sometimes longer, but that's usually the date.
We also always go to my grandmother on the 24th and eat a nice lunch, then to my mother in the evening for dinner. And on the 25th the whole family gather to have a big lunch together. On the 24th is the time to dance around the tree and have presents afterwards, and there the small family units are usually together. But on the 25th it's the whole extended family that comes together.
Thank you Cassie for the signature!

Return to “Students Lounge”