Signatures

Discussions About Anything HOL Related

Moderator: Maxwell Shadow

Amanda P. X. Sim
No broom

Signatures

Postby Amanda P. X. Sim » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:15 pm

I've noticed that many HOLers have lovely signatures, some even animated! I've always wondered how to make those, perhaps some of you have tips for me?

With that, I thought of opening up this discussion about signatures. What's your current signature inspiration? How did you make/get it? Do you have a collection of signatures used so far?

Here we go, digging out all my old old old signatures :D

This was probably my first ever signature, used back in 2009/2010:

This is a signature I've used for a pretty long time because I like the idea of seeing my name on the Marauder's Map:

And this last signature is the one I used for Globe Blitz to represent my team:

EDIT: I finally tried making a gif siggy! Thank you guys for your lovely tips!
Last edited by Amanda P. X. Sim on Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Amanda P. X. Sim | am970 | Gryffindor | Third Year
"Magic lies within the hearts of those who choose to believe"

Niniel Sanders
Cleansweep One

Re: Signatures

Postby Niniel Sanders » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:29 pm

I use a program called "Animation shop 3"
It came together with paintshop pro as a discount when I bought that. I don't know what other programs people use.
(and my signature is not actually animated at the moment so for this I of course didn't use animationshop)
What I did was make the frames I want to have in there, and save them as individual pictures. Often following the formula of: 1. Name, 2. Hol id, 3. Hol House, 4. Quote.
So that means: making the base. Save that. Then add those four (or whatever else you might like) categories to the base one at a time and save it. Then put them all in the program to make gifs that you use, in the order that you want them.
Then add transitions. I chose fading in and fading out for all mine, and how quick you want that transition to be. (you'll note that it now makes a LOT of pictures in a row, that's to accomplish that effect. Then save it as a gif, and voila, you've made a gif!

But taking a trip down memory lane

My signature from 1st to 3rd year. I've chosen the 2nd year one, but except for the year and the font it didn't change (permanently) in that time.

As part of a duck duck goose thread, my forefeit was to change my signature and avatar to have a lovely beard :D I like the font better in this one. It was far more legible. So I am happy with that change.

This was for a summer camp where my group was the crowned eagles. Ah, good memories.

Not an animated one, but for the Blue and Bronze olympics in 2011. Our team were the muses. We were five members :D

I made this animated one for a friend.

The one I am currently using has the sigil of Eärendil who is a character in Tolkien's works. He does not appear in the lord of the Rings, but in the Silmarillion. But for those of you who remember this scene (I think it was the extended edition, but I might be wrong) where Galadriel gives Frodo the glass vial and says: "I give you the light of Eärendil, our most beloved star. May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out."
There you have him mentioned. And the reason is that he travels the sky in a ship, carrying one of the Silmarils (which are stones that magically shine) which is seen on earth as a star. The history of these things are very special to the elves.
As to why I identify with Eärendil is because one of the very first characters I role played was Elladan, who is one of the twin sons of Elrond, who happens to be the decendant of Eärendil. And finding a sigil for Elladan or Elrond is not possible, so I went with the first sigil I could find, and that belonged to Eärendil. So for years I've loved this symbol and now I use it as my signature.
The star in the center is a depiction of the silmaril and the dots in each corner are in many version a full moon at the top, and a circle around darkness at the bottom and a half moon on either side, to represent the year and travelling through the night constantly. So that's the image I chose for my signature (And actually had for my avatar until Joey made that for me as my secret santa. <3 you Joey Stark)

February Fortescue
Oakshaft 79

Postby February Fortescue » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:10 pm

I like the sig I'm using in Slytherin:

The green stars background is an old one I once used on Myspace. I have a similar blue stars one. I use a free website to crop the background, add the crest, add the border, and add my name. That's as advanced as I get.

For the icons and sigs I really love and use most often, such as the owl icon I'm using here, I message Prof. Fumei Spookie. I think she uses Photoshop.

Here's some of her work:

av and sig by talented Prof. Fumei Spookie

Alessandra Grace
No broom

Postby Alessandra Grace » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:19 am

I like making new siggies, even if they aren't that beautiful ^^

I use a free program, Photoscape X, and create my siggies with the option: "Create GIF" :D
Here are some of my signatures, they may not be perfect, but I had fun in doing them :lol:

This one is the signature I'm using now in the HOL forum ^^

This is the one I'm currently using in the Gryff CR, relating to my den, Knowledgeable Knights!

This is not a signature, but I made it for my blog on the Paw Print, and I'm quite attached to it :wub:

And, finally, this is the one I used for last year's Summer Camp in Gryff CR, whose theme was Aquaparks ^^

Hear me roar!

Return to “Students Lounge”