Early Bird or Night Owl?

Discussions About Anything HOL Related

Moderator: Kendra Givens

Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Early Bird or Night Owl?

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:02 pm

I, for one, am constantly being yelled at on IRC to go to bed the moment my alarm clock Prof. Amy Lupin, signs on and this is generally around midnight or 1am my time. However, I find that I tend to stay up until 3 or 4am most nights, not necessarily because I'm getting work done, but because I can't sleep or don't want to sleep. Then I manage to get up really early in the morning, as hard as it may be sometimes, to go to school or volunteer/work.

So, what do I place myself as, an early bird or a night owl? Considering I do some of my best work in the middle of the night, I guess one could say that I was more of a night owl than an early bird even if I do prefer to get an early start to my day. Although, since there were no classes the past two days for me (one was a holiday and today was cancelled due to weather conditions), I actually went back to sleep and slept until nearly 11am! Okay, yes, that proves it. I MUST be a night owl!

So what about all of you? Do you prefer to go to bed early so you can wake up early refreshed to start your day, or do you tend to stay up into the late hours of the night because that's when you feel the most energized? Let's see how HOL finds itself divided up between the two!

EDIT: I am kind of doing an HOL-wide study so ALL are allowed to post. If I get enough detailed replies, I would love to write an article on it! Thanks! (Cody: "wait are PROFESSORS allowed to post in the STUDENTS lounge?")
Last edited by Shiloh Adlar on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shiloh Adlar, Sixth Year, Prefect, RQT Co-Captain
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Kendra Givens
Oakshaft 79

Re: Early Bird or Night Owl?

Postby Kendra Givens » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:19 pm

I absolutely am not a morning person. I'm that whiny "leave me alone" person in the morning. I go back to sleep if I wake up, which is terrible for you. On any given day, I am easily able to stay up until midnight or 1 am. I get super tired around 10 pm, but then push through and am not tired after that for a while. Since moving in with my boyfriend in November, he sends me to bed at 10:30 pm when he goes to bed. I'm just not usually tired around that time, so it's really difficult to force myself to go to bed. He asked me yesterday if I feel more rested since going to bed earlier than I always have, and I said no. I feel the same. I will be a night owl for the rest of my life.

Maxim Trevelyan
Cleansweep One

Postby Maxim Trevelyan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:37 pm

I am in the same boat as Shiloh. I am usually up in the night, and go to sleep around 1 to 2 am. One would think that makes me a night owl, but it is not because I am particularly active around that time, at least when it comes to work. I usually play video games (because I have no time during the day), watch TV shows, movies or YouTube videos. Past 8 pm, I hardy do any RL studying or work.

I also wake up quite early, and I am in no foul mood over it, no matter how many hours of sleep I got. I do my best work from 9 am onward to around 4 pm, so I guess, at the end, you can label me as an early bird, since I am most productive in the mornings.
Thank you Dario!

Prof. Cody Lewis
Cleansweep One

Postby Prof. Cody Lewis » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:52 pm

I sleep whenever I'm tired, which tends to be later each day than the day before, so I often end up staying up super late. I guess that qualifies me as a night owl?

I'd also consider myself part of the make-Shiloh-go-to-bed committee, and she's NEVER said, "why are you still up, Cody? You go to bed!" :D

Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:00 pm

It's because, Cody, I'm a night owl, so it's normal to see people awake at odd times of the night. I don't question it. I just go with it. Except in the case of Gail. I do tell her to go to bed simply because it will end up being 6am her time before she does. I wonder what she has to say about all of this. *directs her to post in this topic as soon as I see her again*
"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." -Voltaire

Emanuel Hines
No broom

Postby Emanuel Hines » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:21 pm

I am definitely a night owl. Most of my work is done in the evening and at night, because I can do things properly if I get up quickly. I usually love to sleep, but this is mostly only a wish and imaginary during school time. At weekends I do sleep maximum till 9 am (only on sundays, I do walk dogs on saturday). I do not remember the day when I went to sleep earlier than 10 pm.

Polaris Black
Comet 140

Postby Polaris Black » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:29 am

I think the only time I ever saw the sun rise was if I was still up from the night before! :lol:
I dated a musician in college and loved those diner breakfasts at 3:00AM.
Of course, I had a day job and was forced to keep "normal business hours".
But I never went to sleep early enough and never woke up well.
To this day, getting an early start is still a nightmare.
Left to my own devices (i.e., vacation and holidays), I would always stay up later and later and of course, wake up later and later.
I do my best mind work late but oddly enough, I feel physically stronger in the morning.
If I'm really tired or distracted, I can't solve a simple puzzle.
And I had worse jet lag flying from the U.S. to Europe than flying from the U.S. to Australia.
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!

Shadow Gaunt
Oakshaft 79

Postby Shadow Gaunt » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:16 am

It really depends, if I went to sleep before 11 I'm an early bird. I'm happy and cheerful, I feel refreshed.

If I went to sleep from 12-all nighter then I'm a night owl. I completely feel not tired and ready to do anything in the morning. By 12 in the afternoon however, I suddenly collapse and become a living zombie for the rest of the day.
Shadow Gaunt
"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."-Benjamin Franklin

Will Lestrange
Cleansweep One

Postby Will Lestrange » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:44 am

Late, definitely! I like the quote "It is a sin to go to bed the same day that you wake up" (though I haven't been able to find the source of the quote on a quick Google search).

That said, I remember my Muggle college days of staying up until 6 or 7 AM on weeknights to do homework... and am glad those days are long behind me!

I know that I'm at my sharpest between 10 PM and 1 AM... and after 3 AM I don't function nearly as well. I'm most comfortable with a sleep schedule like 2A-11A or 3A-1P... but reality prevents that from happening (at least I can sleep on the train when I commute!)

And I think Cody has just described the normal twenty-five hour internal biological clock: for some reason humans evolved for a 25 hour day/night cycle when left to our own devices... but the 24 hour solar cycle is "loud" enough to overpower it!

One last thought: I've read about a science fiction story called "Eastern Standard Tribe" in which people socialize online and associate with people who keep the same hours of them, regardless of their physical location. So if your circadian rhythm matches daylight over New York, say, you're in the Eastern Standard Tribe. Since learning of that, I've always considered myself a card-carrying member of the Pacific Standard Tribe, even if I've lived in the Eastern time zone approximately three times as long as I've lived in the Pacific one!

Prof. Tarma Amelia Black
Firebolt Galaxy

Postby Prof. Tarma Amelia Black » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:49 am

There are so many variables here. Personal inclination vs commitments which HAVE to be.

A lot depends on the length of daylight hours. In the winter, the sun comes up (or seems to come up) around 8 am and sets around 4:30 pm. In the summer, the sun is up around 5 am and sets around 9:30 pm (or so it seems). Since I seem to be more in the flow of the natural seasons, that has an effect on how I feel at different times of the day. It's not so much 'clock-time' as hours of daylight and hours of dark. Right now, close to the winter solstice, we have a lot of hours of dark! And it's colder, too, which has an effect on how I feel and how much energy I have to be doing what I have to do.

Also, in the summer time, there is more daylight! Yay for daylight! Sunshine! At those times, when it is sunny out, all kinds of enthusiasm for getting up and doing things abounds.

That said, I notice a huge tendency on my part to turn into a night person and want to sleep in in the morning. However, since I have commitments which start in the morning and continue through the day, that doesn't seem to happen.

Maybe one day, I'll find out how it is to be a night owl being a night owl. I think that would be great. But in the meantime ... give me coffee ...

"You have the inborn natural right to remain silent. Don't think about it, don't talk about it, shuush ....... STILL." ~ Xaris

Prof. Amy Lupin
Cleansweep Three

Postby Prof. Amy Lupin » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:46 am

Back at university, I was more of a night owl, as I found it easier to work in the evenings and at night due to fewer distractions and interruptions... or it might have just been the pressure of an imminent deadline spurring me on. :lol:

These days, I'm more of an early bird. I'm at my most productive in the mornings, although I sometimes find it hard to get going. I usually wake up quite early (this morning I woke up at about 4:30 am for example), but I'll often just read in bed in the hopes of falling asleep again. I'm also often in bed by about 9 or 10 pm.

Kaitlyn Nightingale
No broom

Postby Kaitlyn Nightingale » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:22 pm

My sleep pattern is so bad I would go so far to say it's not a pattern at all. When I was about 10 years old, I stayed up all night for the first time in my life (I was doing a jigsaw...) and then I basically spent the whole summer sitting on my window in a blanket at night, reading and then watching the sun rise and going to sleep around 7 am. This changed my life completely - most people would say for the worse.

As an example, I can give you a short description of my sleeping hours since New Year's. The very first few days, it was still Christmas holidays. During holidays (longer than 4 days), I usually do kind of what I did when I was ten. I start to feel a boost of energy around 1 am. I clean my room, do HOL homework, shop online... And I can talk to all my western friends! Then I go to sleep around 8 am and wake up at 2-5 pm. The sad part is that this means sleeping through the time when I might be alone at home. I love having the whole house to myself!
Anyway, Muggle school started and I had trouble switching to a system that would suit it. The conventional "be awake when there's light outside like a normal person" just doesn't work for me. So I would just stay awake till about 3-4 am, then go to school like a zombie, and maybe wait for the weekend to get proper rest. Of course, I couldn't live like this for very long. I was so tired every day after coming home from school that I dozed off at 6 pm. Then I woke up at 3-4 am and I did whatever I needed to do. This turned out to be the best way to deal with long school days and for the first time in ages, I got proper 8+ hours of sleep almost daily. It was beautiful.
But then I caught a cold from Gail (*G*) and currently am at home for a few days. That made me kind of go back to staying up late but only until about 2-ish am. Then I wake up at about 9 am but I prefer to go back to sleep until midday to get full rest.
There. That's 4 different patterns within 17 days. It makes it a little hard to say if I'm an early bird or a night owl because I change my sleeping habits so often, but generally, I would say I'm an owl through and through!
ka1645 | Hufflepuff | 2nd Year | Spiffy

Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Nimbus 1000

Postby Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:55 am

I don't think I'm either an Early Bird or a Night Owl, but I'm much closer to a Night Owl. I've always been more productive at night and I am rarely up early in the morning. But I do have to keep my sleep schedule pretty consistent or bad things happen.

On a related note, I read this book (The Power of When) that divided people into 4 different chronotypes based on their biological clocks: Lion, Bear, Wolf, Dolphin.
My chronotype is Bear. (There's a quiz online if you want to find out which chronotype you are!)

Shiloh Adlar
Cleansweep One

Postby Shiloh Adlar » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:14 am

Oh Scarlet! That's fascinating. I just took the quiz, and I'm a dolphin. That description is perfectly me. I'm watching the video that goes along with the quiz I took, and it's kind of amazing. I keep going, "Yep, that's me. That too." Thanks for sharing!

And thank you everyone for all of your replies so far! I have a lot of information for my article, and I can't wait to share it with you all!

Amanda P. X. Sim
No broom

Postby Amanda P. X. Sim » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:31 pm

There's no need to question myself on this, I'm most certainly a night owl through and through. I love the night too much for my own good (health no!), and like other fellow night owls, if it weren't for the routine of the rest of the world, I would be up all night enjoying my own quiet time instead of working during the day. If it were up to me, I would be having the worst sleeping patterns. I have stayed up all night before and only crawled into bed for a good day's sleep at around 7am in the morning after watching the sunrise, and this has happend multiple times when I did not have the responsibility of work. And with that being the worst case scenario (not to mention pulling an all-nighter and continuing to live with my eyes open the next day) I would wake up at around 2-4pm in the afternoon and have a good brunch, almost dinner. In the case of this schedule, my body battery would usually start to wear off somewhere around 12-2am, and I'll probably doze a little around 5-6am, but most of the time I would be wide awake till the morning (of course, depending on my schedule the day/night before as well). Like Kendra, it won't help even if you try to change my routine into that of a day person, I know I will be a night owl for the rest of my life. I loveee the thrill of having midnight adventures too, like how Polaris mentioned about having 3am meals which reminded me of my uni final year when I was rushing for a project, and had roti canai (Indian flatbread) at around 4am with my assignment mates. I also tried the chronotype quiz Tarma mentioned, and funnily enough I got Bear, but I don't think it's accurate because based on the traits I should be either a Wolf or a Dolphin - I seem to be impulsive, creative and moody, react with emotional intensity, strive for perfection, and am most alert at night! :ph34r:
Amanda P. X. Sim | am970 | Gryffindor | Fourth Year
"Magic lies within the hearts of those who choose to believe"

Arianna Stonewater
Cleansweep One

Postby Arianna Stonewater » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:10 am

I am 100% a night owl, but my 7mo old daughter hasn't figured that out yet :( (Luckily, my husband is a morning person so he gets up with her and lets me sleep for another hour.)

I function so much better at night, or at least I'm bored enough to do more since everyone else is sleeping!

Kendra Givens
Oakshaft 79

Postby Kendra Givens » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:37 pm

My chronotype is apparently dolphin, so yes, there is proof that I'm most definitely a night owl. Thanks for the quiz idea, Scarlet!

Emanuel Hines
No broom

Postby Emanuel Hines » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:33 am

I have taken a look at quiz that Scarlet provided and found out, that all my predictions about me are true. I am mostly the dolphin, most of my work is done late at night.
It is also amazing fact that only 10 % of the population are like dolphins!

Vanessa Tilley
Oakshaft 79

Postby Vanessa Tilley » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:05 pm

Age seems to have changed my sleeping habits.

Since I was young, I never had a set bedtime like children I grew up with. My mother always said I knew when I was tired and I would go to bed when I was ready. I spent all of my years in elementary, high school, and college staying up late and getting very little sleep and it worked out greatly. I would wake up ready to go although by the middle of the day, I definitely needed a caffine pick me up.

After college, I had a job that required me to work 12 hour shifts and my day would start at 5 am EST and my work shift ending anywhere between 7:30 - 9:00 pm EST. I developed a routine and even after leaving that job, I am now an early bird. I have to be in bed by 10 pm EST and sadly, the latest I seem to be able to stay up until is 11 pm EST. I suppose that also has to do with my husband having to get up every morning at 4:45 am EST to get ready for work. I have noticed that after I get up when going to bed early that I am able to start right into my day. I have showered and put on my outfit for the day in about 15 minutes and I am ready for whatever I need to do whether that be going on errands or just doing housework. I will say that although I am an early riser, I am not a fan of sunlight so ALL the blinds in the house are shut because I definitely prefer darker things to light things.

Also, my chronotype is a bear which makes sense since I tend to have bursts of energy around 11 am and 5 pm. That is when I am able to do my best work on my art projects.

Return to “Students Lounge”