All teams are required to provide a referee for matches they are not involved in. For example, if Gryffindor plays Hufflepuff, then Ravenclaw and Slytherin have to provide one referee each for this match, one for Quaffle play and one for Snitch play. The captains are responsible for providing competent refs. If a team fails to provide a referee one week in advance of a match, the Quidditch Board will appoint someone else to ensure that the match is not at risk.
- Use a server that works for you, not one that people harass you to be on. If you lag horribly, the game will be no fun for anyone.
- Ensure you have the correct (most up-to-date) question set well in advance.
- Be in #refchan as well as in #quidditch or #snitch.
- Try to be ready to start receiving line-ups from around 8:50pm HOL onwards. If the game has not started by 9:10pm HOL and you are the reason, you will not be eligible to ref the next game.
- Make calls as you see fit, but ask the QB member if you need help making a decision.
- After the game, you will decide, with the QB member in charge of the game, if an MVP is deemed to have been earned, and if so, to whom it is awarded.
- To receive your 25 points for reffing, send a log of the game to the QB e-mail: quidditch [at] hol.org.uk. Please send the log in the form of an attachment (.txt) if possible. If you for some reason are not able to log, please make sure to mention this to the QB member responsible for the game BEFORE the game starts.
Quidditch 2008 reffing program is not to be used in official games.
The order of teams matters in Snitch. Refer to the official schedule to check if it's GQT vs RQT or RQT vs GQT. The team listed FIRST should start in red position (bottom left - 0,12), second should start in blue position (top right - 12,0).
In general, grids should be balanced with clues/WFs/bludgers all spaced around the board so as not to skew it to be advantageous to one Seeker or the other. Obviously common sense should prevail in most cases and if breaking a guideline still leaves a balanced grid that's fine.
- no WFs/bludgers in the starting corners (3x3 grid)
- no clues within quick reach the start for either seeker
- no clue squares should touch one another (including diagonally)
- no more than 2 clues in any 6 square area (this could be a 6x1 line or 2x3 rectangle).
Time between moves should be 15-20 seconds at most - if someone is constantly taking longer than this the ref should prod them to hurry along. If there are major issues / consistent offenders, QB should be informed after the game.
Logic puzzle answers should be submitted in full, not abbreviations.
When the Snitch is caught, inform #refchan that the match has ended.