Week 3: HOL Library

Lamia Brickley
Oakshaft 79

Re: Week 3: HOL Library

Postby Lamia Brickley » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:15 pm

When I was a teenager I really loved reading and watching harry potter and chat about it with my friends etc. It was at that time (about 6 to 7 years ago) that I really wanted to join virtual hogwartses (yes there were more of them and I only knew Germany pages). However, I wasn't allowed to (Internet is dangerous etc).

Then in 2012 I started to study and moved away from my parents. I don't remember how I got into the harry potter mood again but I joined a German virtual hogwarts and hol and since then I was so excited to be here.
At first it was a bit confusing and I didn't know what I could do here as on the main page there are some sites that don't seem to exist anymore (or were kind of not updated) but then I discovered the fun of hol wide and house intern activities, the art department and library.

I wanted to help out with our house common room because I had then impression that at the time I joined there were only a few people active and those in charge of course have so much going on. I applied as a mini prefect and became one. I helped a bit here and there and tried to keep our graphic club active which I manged partly.
Soon afterwards I was promoted to prefect. This was a very excited moment and I am still very excited about it.

I know that I haven't been quite active around the forum or other hol parts, but mostly in the Hufflepuff common room. I want to change that for the coming year, so there is still very much potential to improve.

I have made a lot of awesome friends here and hol means a lot to me and I want to thank everyone who helps making hol what it is!

I am looking forward to a new year of awesome activites and classes and meeting new friends and having a good time with new and existing friends :D

Maxwell Shadow
Cleansweep One

Postby Maxwell Shadow » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:25 pm

I'm loving reading all these and couldn't resist adding my own story. I came to HOL from another Harry Potter RP site which was fading away as interest waned following the release of the final film. I had just completed seven years with my student character (Bellicia Shadow) and when I was shown this site by my friend I knew I had to sign up Bella's little brother Max. On the other site I'd been really heavily involved in moderating the forums and had a bit of a bad experience there in the end so coming here I decided I just wanted to be a student and do my lessons and not get too involved. I didn't apply to be a promising student when the applications came up in my common room but worked away like the point hoarder I am, entering contests and doing my homework.

Five years later I'm still here and things are a little different than I had planned, becoming student teacher and a head student - I clearly couldn't just sit back and let others do everything! I'm glad that HOL is such a welcoming place and I'm happy that I accepted the promising student role when it was offered to me. I check HOL multiple times each day and put off real life stuff so that I can make sure my HOL commitments are met on time! I would have a lot more time if I'd never found HOL but I'd also be missing being part of an awesome community and I would never have met such awesome people.
Slytherin forever

Polaris Black
Cleansweep One

Postby Polaris Black » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:00 am

I learned about HOL when I became a Pottermore Beta Tester. The Beta Testers who were also HOL students were sharing information on Facebook so they could recognize each other at both sites. I googled HOL but opted not to join because I thought I would be too busy with Pottermore.

Fast forward two years. I became responsible for the care of a free-spirited parent with significant health issues and worsening non-correctable hearing loss so I'm usually close to home but my availability is not predictable.

So I joined HOL. It’s great being a student in the 21st century! I love having information at my fingertips, learning about social technology, experimenting with computer graphics software, and just being generally creative. Although I’m no longer a lurker, I have yet to venture into IRC territory but I’ve met some awesome people despite myself.

Staying in school has proven to be a real challenge. I have to take each day as it comes and showing up at a specific time is the hardest to orchestrate. But it’s worth all the effort – I’d be miserable without HOL.

I recently lost internet service for two days and spent much of my free time checking to see if it was restored. I guess that’s what my life would be like without HOL!
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!

Return to “HOL Appreciation Month”