Week 3: HOL Library

Polaris Black
Cleansweep One

Week 3: HOL Library

Postby Polaris Black » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:44 pm

When we first met Harry Potter, he was a sad and mistreated orphan who couldn’t control the magic he didn’t know he had. He was going to Stonewall High in the fall, dressed in his cousin’s old clothes that were dyed to resemble the local public school’s uniform. Feeling as though he was unwanted and unloved, it seemed to Harry that he was destined to always live in his bullying cousin’s shadow.

Until he got the letter!

Suddenly he was sort of a rock star, had piles of money in the bank, and came from a brave and loving family. At Hogwarts he learned about the magical world, honed his skills, and began the hero’s journey with some extraordinary friends. Hogwarts became his home, not unlike Tom Riddle and countless others.

And just like Hogwarts, we know HOL has changed and impacted many lives. It doesn’t matter if you’ve recently joined or signed up a very long time ago - it’s a wonderful place! For this task, we would like you to consider why you enrolled and tell us how your life would be different without HOL. You can write from the perspective of your character or of yourself.

In order to get full points for this task (ie. 10 points), you'll need to post your story in this thread by Sunday, 20 September at 11:59 PM HOL time. Otherwise, feel free to still post your submission after then - you will still get some points for it.

The HOL Library hosts several projects like this a year - the current project is The Colour of Magic. Regardless of your skill level, you are encouraged to submit poems or stories and later review the submissions of others. Remember that HOL caters to a wide range of ages and a wide array of nationalities. Not all of us are writers and not all of us speak English as our first language.

If you haven’t already done so, post your own Getting into Harry Potter and check out the Book Writing Project.
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!

Prof. Arielle Lemoyne
Silver Arrow

Re: Week 3: HOL Library

Postby Prof. Arielle Lemoyne » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:06 am

It’s hard to remember exactly what it was like when I first joined HOL. It was 2009, my 11th grade year in high school, and I saw a link that a Facebook friend had posted about this "cool Harry Potter site" he just found. I have no clue whether that friend ever joined HOL or stuck around at all, but I’m so glad he shared the link because I was immediately interested and started trying to come up with an HOL name I liked. I chose Arielle, from the Little Mermaid, except I thought it looked better with this spelling, and then for the last name, I saw Lemoyne on a street sign and thought it sounded good.

After joining, the first thing I got hooked on was RPG in the Ravenclaw common room. I remember planning out what I was going to post all day while I was at school and then coming home and spending half my time just going crazy in the RP threads. It was probably several months before I explored anything else, and not until the end of my first year that I got on IRC and finally discovered quidditch.

Throughout the past six years, there have definitely been a lot of ups and downs, but overall HOL has been such a huge and important part of my life. I have fond memories of staying up late working on BBO or summer camp, playing irc games on summer nights, having all sorts of fun with RQT, and making some really good friends that are some of the people I now depend on most. Whenever I’m lonely in real life, I can always find someone to talk to on HOL, and if I’m bored or need some sort of distraction, there’s plenty of things going on.

Without HOL, I wouldn’t have any of these memories, and I would have been a lot lonelier during many points of my life. I wouldn’t know all of the wonderful people on RQT, I wouldn’t have some of the amazing friends I have now, and worst of all, I would never have met my most favorite person ever, which is just really hard to imagine. Luckily, I don't have to worry too much about what it would be like without HOL because I joined 6 years ago and never left. Hopefully there will be many more wonderful years to come <3

Kim Alting
Cleansweep One

Postby Kim Alting » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:22 pm

I stumbled upon HOL somewhat longer than a year ago. I was searching for Herbology information and Google led me to the HOL library. I always wanted to learn more about HP and the classes HOL offered seemed really nice. I signed up and I like it right away. I became Top Student of the year and right after my first year I was asked if I wanted to be a Prefect. Now I am in my second year and trying to be as helpful where I can and I am starting some projects of my own now.

I really like the classes and I want to teach a class of my own one day, but right now I am involved in so many things already, that I am afraid I don't have the time if I also teach a class. I am an assistant though this year. I assist Poisons from prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis.

This year I want to learn more about Quidditch, but there are so many questions that I don't know the answer to. I really have to practise a lot ;)
What I most enjoy about HOL is the lovely people. Everyone wants to help eachother and have fun!

Alessandra Grace
No broom

Postby Alessandra Grace » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:57 pm

I read about HOL many years ago in a magazine, in an article about Harry Potter. I didn't pay much attention to it, but when, some months later, I read again that article, I liked it, so I came here to sign up. Unfortunately, back then in 2011 you could only sign up from August, and during that month I usually don't have an internet connection, since I'm on holiday. So, when I came back home, in September, I ran to my pc and signed up :P

During the first year I wasn't very active, since in RL I was attending my last year of High School, and I didn't sign up for the Common Room either! One year later, I decided to try again to attend this awesome Hogwarts on line, and I could never regret that decision! I signed up for Gryffindor Common Room, even if I wasn't much active in it. When I passed the year, I started lurking around in the CR and really liked it! (So that I'm pretty always logged in :P ). I decided to do more in HoL, so I wrote a story for a contest in the Library (and since English isn't my first language, the story wasn't so good :P ), and I'm still looking forward for Library contests!

I'm trying every year to improve my final score, and this helps me being more focused on all my duties (inside and outside HOL), so I became more organized. HOL is important to me for this reason, but also because I knew a lot of kind and awesome people from all over the world (with the PPC before, and the IRC chat later), and I became friend with some of them! (And it improved my English, which can be really useful!).

Without HOL I'd never know all these amazing friends I met here :wub:
Hear me roar!

February Fortescue
Oakshaft 79

Postby February Fortescue » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:03 pm

I originally discovered HOL three years ago. I had gotten out of reading novels but my best friend talked me into watching the Harry Potter movies, and I loved the ones I'd seen so much, I turned to the novels, and loved those even more. I became excited when I discovered there were websites which would sort you into Houses and you could take classes and earn points for your House. I have a couple of college degrees but hadn't been to school in years, and I was looking for a site where I could challenge myself and do lots of fun activities. I wanted to write stories, answer essay questions, improve making graphics, and maybe even create a class and become a professor one day. After lots of research and looking at every site I could find, I noticed this site had everything I wanted, and I waited until August and joined. I had a wonderful time, but then one of my family members had some very significant health issues. I left HOL. Forever, I thought. I was very disappointed, but my family comes first.

Three years later, the issues have resolved themselves, and my pc remembered my HOL password. I sent a begging message to Prof. Leslie-Lewis, and I am so thrilled she kindly let me back in! I have really missed this site. If not for HOL, I would not have made so many wonderful friends and my brain would turn to mush from lack of mental stimulation.
av and sig by talented Prof. Fumei Spookie

Maxim Trevelyan
Silver Arrow

Postby Maxim Trevelyan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:24 pm

I've heard about HOL over the sites or forums where we talked about Harry Potter, but was never inclined to join it. Either Real Life was too demanding, I had too much to do at school/work or I just wasn't in the spirits.

A few months ago, I was browsing the expansive area that is the Internet, when I chanced upon HOL. Now I finally got the time I could dedicate to it and I eagerly joined. I was even gladder when you had to take your Sorting immediately and the questions weren't too obvious, so you didn't really know or anticipated what house you'd be sorted to. One more thing that attracted me were the classes. They weren't just your typical canon classes, but they covered other fandoms or areas as well.

As to how my life would be different...definitely it'd be more boring. And quiet. Even after only two months, I've found people to talk to, who share similar interests over which we can bond, either be it video games or playing pranks on other housemates. If I may borrow a quote...

"I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
Thank you Dario!

Hanna Inari
No broom

Postby Hanna Inari » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:01 pm

Initially I came to HOL to practice English. I participated in projects like this one in my past and knew that it's an interesting and working way to make myself do something. I like writing honeworks and the classes were interesting, so I decided to try.

But because of the language barrier, it still wasn't as easy as I thought. I could never see the big picture, I never understood what was going on in general. So only now, when my level of knowledge got higher, I started understanding. I came to the Sett and that's what determined my further actions; now I have a reason to stay and study because I feel that it's appreciated. Also now that I observe most events, I always have something to do. Different challenges and contests are so various that they never become boring.

So, what have I acquired? A place to return to, people to talk to and maybe become friends in the future. Lots of interesting things to do. Everything that I learn reading lessons and writing assignments. And my English becomes better, of course - I had never thought that I was able to write a long text in English or even a poem and then I did it. I found out that I can do more than I knew. And I will find out even more, I'm sure of that.

Joey Stark
No broom

Postby Joey Stark » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:20 pm

So I'm a first year but I actually signed up for HOL a few years ago (for the usual reasons: my love of HP). I quickly discovered that university work overrode HOL work and sort of gave up ashamed. I was also too shy to actually talk to anyone or come on forums, or get involved with, well anything. I didn't appreciate it and I'm not sure why, maybe just adjusting to moving away and everything else.

The end of my last year and this summer I hit a rough patch but HOL, in the weeks I've been fully using it, has drastically changed my quality of life. There's now a place I can go when no one's around and suddenly I'm surrounded by people, not only that, but some of the nicest most encouraging and welcoming people ever. I'm so shy in real life but HOL had increased my confidence, got me wanted to get involved with anything and everything and the more I do, the more I feel at home.

So I guess without it I would just be a lot less happy and content.

(Did I go too sentimental?)
Credit to Maxim! ^

Aleisha Stone
No broom

Postby Aleisha Stone » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:49 am

Five years.

It has been five years since I joined HOL. I don't remember how I stumbled upon this site, but I do remember my initial excitement when I discovered the magic it possessed. I could get sorted into one of the Houses? I could actually take classes? I could earn points for my House, just like they could in Harry Potter? I knew right then and there that I had to join. I was, and still am, a Potterhead at heart, and I was very excited to experience my own Hogwarts dream. Only, I was not quite as prepared as I thought I would be...

In real life, I had just started my first year of college. I was taking 15 credit hours and practicing/playing on the school's softball team almost every afternoon. Sadly, there was no way I could keep up with college and HOL at the same time, and thus disappeared from the HOL community after only a few months in. I would have likely forgotten about HOL, too, had I not received an email from my House's forum. Four years later, in fact. Curious, I visited the site once more and my initial excitement returned. How could I have forgotten about this wonderful site!? I knew then and there, even though I was still in college, I just had to try again.

Now, after many stumbles and a few flat out falls, I finally managed to become a second year. And now that I have graduated college, this is the only school work I will have in mind. Though I still have a long way to go, and hopefully many friends to make, it is my goal to be more successful this year than the last. I am happy that I rediscovered HOL, though. Especially since I've had the joy of sharing it with my real life friends. In fact, I managed to get three of them to join! One has put it on hold, but my two other friends are just as excited about this new school year as I am, and one of them is even in the same year as me (Parker Ashby and AJ Nole, feel free to say hello to them both. They're really nice people! :) )! It's great to be able to share this experience with those around me, and therefore, I can only hope to share this experience with other members of the HOL community, too!

I don't know what my life would be like without HOL. I often joke with my friends that I can't seem to stay away from school, because though I finished one, I am still eager to take classes, do homework, and meet deadlines. But hey, that's just a few of the many joys of HOL, right? Plus, classes would never be as exciting anywhere else. ;)

Matilde Rayne
Moontrimmer

Postby Matilde Rayne » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:13 pm

I feel like this is going to be long and get super awkward and personal, but OH WELL.

I didn't know much about HOL when I first joined, and I didn't really have much more reason to join than liking Harry Potter and thinking the activities advertised on the HOL blog looked cool. I joined at the same time as three of my RL best friends, but it became clear early on that they weren't as interested as I was and probably weren't going to stick around, and I definitely wanted to talk with other people who loved the series just as much and maybe had some other common interests. I loved talking with other HOLers, Quidditch was amazingly fun, classes were a great break from university work, and by the end of my first year, I was invested enough to want to be the best Quidditch player I could be and to apply to be a reserve prefect for Ravenclaw.

The concurrent story was that, for everything that was working out on HOL, there were many things coming undone for me in RL. I had health problems and problems with anxiety before joining HOL; I'd always sort of put the implications and consequences of that at the back of my mind, but things were getting to the point where I couldn't do that anymore (where, in trying to ignore and wave things away, I'd put myself on a path that I didn't want to follow). I took time off of school, moved back home, ended up transferring universities and changing my course of study. While I knew that what I needed most was a break and a fresh start and that things would be better after, it was still the worst time of my life. I lost a lot of friends, because I felt nothing like myself anymore, and I had no idea how to talk to them because I was afraid of what they would think. Though I did end up reconnecting with many of them later on, that first year and a half while I was out of school was a very lonely time for me in RL.

It sounds really cheesy, but spending time on HOL during my time off helped build me back up. I had classes and projects and activities and botting sets to complete to prove myself wrong when I felt as if I could accomplish nothing or do nothing right. Working on things as a prefect gave me something to be dedicated to and people to be dependable for. I grew close to RQT and really felt like part of a team when in RL I felt lonely and as if no one cared about me. I've said many times over the past couple of years that I love Quidditch and I love my teammates, but I don't think I can ever find the right words to express just true those words are. HOL has also given me a place to sort of practice things I need to work on related to my anxiety, where even if I mess up, there won't be serious consequences. It probably sounds silly to most people, but it's incredibly calming to find that not everyone hates me if I make a mistake, and that messing up is okay, as long as I take steps to fix it. I can share my opinions and stand by them, and it's okay if not everyone agrees.

So how has HOL changed me? I'm a lot more confident than I was. There was a period of time where the only friends I talked to were HOL friends, and they made me happy when I honestly didn't think I'd ever be happy again; it helped me get through a very difficult time and get some perspective back into my life that allowed me to make some very important decisions about my future.

While I can't obviously know or be close with everyone on this site, I appreciate the contributions everyone on HOL has made, big or small, and I cherish the friends that I have made and all the moments that have made me smile. As weird as it sounds, given that it's a website based on a fictional school where people use fake names, HOL helped me find myself again, and the site and its people will always be important to me.

Bull J. Johnson
Moontrimmer

Postby Bull J. Johnson » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:38 am

One thing that would be different is I wouldn't have tons of homework or projects I'm always trying to do. Plus I still wouldn't know how to cook. There probably more things but those are the two I'm going to say for now.

Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Tinderblast

Postby Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:18 pm

I joined HOL for the classes. I’ve always loved learning and the assignments for HOL classes really appealed to me. It was (and still is) fun to think about things in the Harry Potter universe from different angles. I also started taking classes that had nothing associated with Harry Potter. For several years, I would only check the main HOL site when class sign-ups were open. I received messages from Ravenclaw prefects asking why I wasn’t in the Roost that often even though I consistently earned so many points through homework. But I ignored them.

Fast forward to my worst year ever. How bad could a year be? Well, a few months into my first semester of university, I ended up spending a week in a psychiatric hospital where (as I later learned when we finally got to the psychiatry lectures in my pharmacy school curriculum) they over-medicated me. I was forced to withdraw from school for a year to figure out the right combination of medication. Most of my friends were away at college and my family was extremely cautious around me. A couple months after that, I completely destroyed my ankle, meaning no volleyball.

Yup. No school, no volleyball, and no one to talk to. What did I have? HOL.

I ventured beyond the class sign-up page. I participated in activities and got know other HOLers. So many people have inspiring stories. HOL remained my creative outlet when I was back in pharmacy school. I would write outlines for Alte articles during lectures and fiddle with fonts between classes and, of course, made sure I did my HOL homework for the month before I got slammed with exams. Botting became my stress relief. When I had an hour or two between classes and no real work to do, I would bot. When I needed a break from studying, I would bot.

Just when I thought I had maxed out on everything that HOL had to offer, I got the opportunity to meet Cody Lewis in person. But that’s an entirely different story. I will say that I love seeing the look on other people’s faces when they ask me how I met my boyfriend. “Online.” They look so shocked and confused until I clarify, “I play online Quidditch.” “Oooooh, cool!” Somehow it is more believable that I would play online Quidditch than use an online dating service.

Without HOL, I would be a little crazier than I am now. I wouldn’t have met amazing people from around the world. I wouldn’t have found the perfect game for me or the perfect person for me. I am happy that HOL is still around for me and everyone who needs it for their own reasons and extremely grateful for all the people who push to keep HOL alive and active.

Sirius Fudge
Silver Arrow

Postby Sirius Fudge » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:57 am

I enrolled in HOL four years ago when I have nothing to do in my life. I was at a low point in my life that time, having decided on something that had big implications the next years. Anyway, the boredom led me to Harry Potter, Pottermore, and then to HOL. At first, I was interested in the classes. They were, and still are, awesome! And then, Sett and HOL wide activities helped me to know people that became good friends, until now.

HOL offered me lots of things to do at the time that I need them. It became my outlet in things creative and original. I looked at it as a way to develop myself and my skills. With it are friends, with the help of IRC, that I get to know more. It's nice to know that I have friends in the other side of the world. It is somewhat comforting. As the years go by, HOL had been my company as I get to recover from my low point up to now. I am just thankful for being a part of this community.

Now, without HOL, I might not have seen myself as someone who could do the things that I do here in HOL. It is a great boost of one's self, knowing that I can and have done these things. And it helped me a lot in situations where it is needed. Also, having more friends is always better. *nods*

Riliey Starshine
No broom

Postby Riliey Starshine » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:06 pm

I joined Hol way back in 2008. I was still in High School and had just finished reading The Deathly Hallows. I didn't want my Harry Potter experience to end, so I started to google Harry Potter websites. I mostly found a lot of Harry Potter forums, and sites that were heavy on role playing. I liked reading through some of the role playing, but I've never been great at contributing much to them, and it wasn't exactly what I originally sought out. I don't remember exactly how I found HOL, but I do remember thinking, "This is exactly what I've been looking for." I could take classes and earn points for my house, and the role playing was minimal, if not completely optional.

In the beginning I was still in high school, like I said, only I was homeschooled for the second half of high school. I still took my electives at my old school, but all my core classes were at home. I started trying to get my mom to incorporate some of my Hol homework into my actual school work. In particular I remember in the Hol Fairytales class one of the assignments was to rewrite a fairytale, so I went to my mom and asked if that was something we could do. We usually began English with a small creative writing task, and I was so surprised and happy when my mom told me the prompt was to rewrite a fairytale! We started incorporating a lot of Hol class work into my real class work (only I had to do a lot more than what was required by my Hol classes). Still, I have really fond memories of my first two years here at Hol.

During the next few years, after high school, I wasn't a good student on Hol. I would sign up for classes every year and not finish any of them. I was friends with the "cool" kids, and was a little embarrassed to admit what I was such a huge Harry Potter fan. When I eventually did tell my closest friend about Hol, he thought it was really cool, and it was easy to tell all my friends. Now, me and my friends have an ongoing joke where we talk about how I'm a witch and I go to Hogwarts around people we don't know very well, just to confuse them. There a few people I think legitimately believe I go teach classes at Hogwarts!

After, those few years when I was trying to hide Hol from my friends, Hol became a huge part of my life. I passed 6 classes in one year and earned 2828 points. Every year since then I have challenged myself to earn more points or quills than the last year. I love the homework assignments and the special events. I never expected to gain real skills from a website I use for fun! Because of Hol I am better at organization, writing, computers, and most importantly graphic art. In RL I do art commissions now, and I never would have gotten to do this if I wasn't teaching myself how to make graphics back in high school on Hol!

Leonie Hauri
Oakshaft 79

Postby Leonie Hauri » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:42 pm

It's so interesting reading about how other people found HOL! I found HOL because I was at a stage in my life where I really wanted a good website to take Hogwarts classes. So I googled it. I found quite a few, but only one or two were actually active. At that time, I had no idea what a forum was. I didn't know what it meant to roleplay, or what a canon was, or how a website can get you so psyched. I just wanted the classes! Needless to say, one of the sites I found was this one. I decided to check it out, and decided that it looked pretty cool, so on August 17th (last year, of course), I registered and enrolled in the classes.

Since then, of course, I have found that there is much more to HOL than classes. I have become involved in the Roost, tried botting, dabbled in other common rooms, and participated in activities around HOL. And honestly, the first thing that came to mind when I thought of life without HOL was that I would have quite a bit more free time on my hands.

However, I could stop participating in activities on HOL any time. It's the fun of it, and the points I get for it, that I do it for. If it weren't for HOL, I would have no idea what IRC was. I wouldn't be able to solve cryptograms (once on HOLLERS there was a cryptogram for the monthly challenge. I wasn't very good at them, so I worked at it until I was decent). I wouldn't know what a nonogram was (or how badly I fail at them).

I would love to say I wouldn't have met so many amazing people, but I don't really know anyone here. I recognize names, of course, but I don't really know y'all. However, I do know HOL is full of fun-loving, and yet responsible people.

HOL also helped me stop procrastinating. Once I became a reserve prefect for Ravenclaw, I began procrastinating enough that the Head of House had to talk to me about it. So I learned to get rid of the evil habit, and do things in a timely manner. Which helped me, of course, in life.

So I can now be one of those people that say HOL didn't only help them in the online world, but in the real world. *exciting!*
The Eagles are coming!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one."

Hermione Brontë
No broom

Postby Hermione Brontë » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:24 pm

This summer I was having a tough time, so I rewatched the Harry Potter films and thought that It would be nice to join a Hogwarts online, so... I registered. And honestly, it was the best decission I could have made.
I haven't been here long enough to make real friends or to even truly get to know people but what I have seen in these two months is something I really like, and I hope to be around for a long time.
In this short time I already did things that I didn't knew I were capable of, and I even got better at some things that I wasn't used to do anymore. I'm sure also that HOL will help me to improve in a lot of things that I'm not good at, and that will help me in real life.
Siggy by Fumei Elf <3

Niniel Sanders
Cleansweep One

Postby Niniel Sanders » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:39 pm

I joined HOL in 2005, 10 years ago now, and right from the start I loved the classes and the opportunity to earn points.
I learned a lot through some of the classes - for instance during my very first semeester at HOL I took a HTML class, which enabled me to build a web page for Miss HOL later on, and only a month ago build an internet portal for the school where my father works and be paid for it. I have never studied HTML in real life, but my experiences at HOL taught me how.

I have also met some pretty amazing people on HOL. Some of them I knew already before I joined HOL, but some I only met through this page and I would not have been without those people for anything in the world.
It enabled me to visit Holland and New York and stay with people I knew from HOL there, and when we were in Holland, we were together with a HOL'er from Canada as well. I would never have been able to do that otherwise and would miss it without HOL.

Darcey Goode
Oakshaft 79

Postby Darcey Goode » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:38 pm

I joined HOL a looooong time ago ... in 2002, halfway through high school. I don't remember how exactly I found it, but it was probably through my oldest RL friend who joined at the same time (Kelsey Willow, if anyone remembers her). I wasn't the most confident or popular of people in school, and having this place where I could come and be silly and geeky with my friends and just ... well ... fit in was awesome. I made some true friends on here, several of whom I've met IRL over the years. And I got to learn some cool stuff, and be competitive, and excel at something (Quidditch). It was a big part of my life and part of what's made me who I am today.

I left for a while when RL got busy, then last year I moved away from my hometown in Scotland down to England, where the only person I knew was my husband, for a postgraduate uni course - which kept me so busy that I haven't really had much of an opportunity to develop a social network here yet. Then there was a HOL oldies reunion on IRC over the summer, and I remembered what a fab place this is, so here I am ... again.
Slytherin | da357 | Preppy!Darcey | Queen of All Music | Random Slyth
Nexi's Beater | NOT scary | Terrible | Stalking Biggles | Bludger Magnet

Prof. Limine Snidget
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Limine Snidget » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:40 am

Eight years ago after the last Harry Potter book was published I found myself bored and needing something Harry Potter related to occupy my time. I found my way to a Harry Potter IRC server where I played Harry Potter trivia for two years. Six years ago I ended up on a different Harry Potter IRC server where I began to play Online Quidditch. Five years ago people I played Quidditch with mentioned HOL, so of course I had to join and I immediately started playing Quidditch. I was in love. HOL Quidditch was a combination of my years playing Harry Potter trivia and Online Quidditch.

Without HOL my life would be entirely different. I’ll keep it short and sweet because otherwise I will be going on about this topic for ages. For one, I would have a lot more free time! I spend so much time on HOL doing things for my various positions and (while I haven’t lately) practicing Quidditch. Without HOL I wouldn’t have all the memories, the bad and the good, from the past five years. Despite all the bad, I wouldn’t trade anything for all the great memories and friends I have made on HOL.

Rayne Devereaux
No broom

Postby Rayne Devereaux » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:52 pm

I found HOL in January 2010 and I can’t believe its been five and a half years. I was having such a hard time with college around that time and the pressures from my family. I was always one to lose myself in reading and Harry Potter was my escape. For some reason I would be left alone if my nose was in a book. How I found HOL is still up in the air. I can’t 100% remember at this point but after thinking about it, it doesn’t matter how I found my way here, I’m just glad that I did. I've always been a bit obsessed with Harry Potter and the classes offered here have only helped to fuel my fascination.

I’ve definitely had my ups and downs towards the beginning until I met the right people. I wasn’t the best first year in terms of doing homework and it took some time to complete that year but I made some great friends who only helped build my love for HOL. It is sad to think that some of them are no longer active. Thankfully I also met someone who I consider to be one of my best friends. (Thanks Kayla. <3). I finally worked my way through my first year and into my second, earning points and joining contests. At one point I was a prefect and was helping to rebuild my house paper. I was loving the distraction HOL provided and it seemed as though the deadlines were helping with my procrastination problem.

Everything seemed to be going great on HOL but my RL was crumbling due to health and mental related issues. I had an oh-so-lovely time recovering but I always knew I could come back here and that made things so much easier. No matter how much time I took off from HOL, I was always welcomed back with open arms by the people I’ve come to love.

Without HOL in my life, things would be completely different. This place has kept me sane during the toughest of times and on my toes with all the new people joining. I’m excited that I’m back once again with no intentions in leaving now that life has once again settled down. HOL is the one of the few places where you can be yourself and share the same passion for Harry Potter with such a large community.

J.K. Rowling made a comment that “Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.” HOL is no different. This place is home. <3

Return to “HOL Appreciation Month”