Week 3: Quidditch

Prof. Amy Lupin
Comet 180

Week 3: Quidditch

Postby Prof. Amy Lupin » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:06 pm

Whether it's Quidditch, the Triwizard Tournament or Gobstones, there is plenty opportunity to get involved in sports and clubs at Hogwarts. While a number of these would have been inter-house, Hogwarts students are likely to have competed against students from other wizarding schools from time to time.

Design a flag or banner to show your support for HOL at sporting events. Come up with a motto and/or mascot for HOL and include it/them in your design. Please keep your graphics less than 600x600 pixels. Feel free to use this flag template or banner template or you can create some of your own!

Write a short paragraph or two explaining why you chose that particular mascot and/or motto.

Upload your graphic/drawing to an image-hosting site such as Photobucket or Tinypic and post the link to it along with your paragraph(s) in this thread to earn your points. You're welcome to do this for more than one flag or banner. For each additional graphic, you'll get 20 extra beans for a maximum of 40 beans.

In order to get full points for this task (ie. 10 points), you'll need to submit your solution by Sunday, 20 September at 11:59 PM HOL time. Otherwise feel free to still send in your graphic after then - you will still get some points for it.

If you are interested in playing Quidditch, check out the Quidditch Talk subforum for more details about your House team. Also, be sure to check out the Quidditch Olympics as well!

"I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do."
- Edward Everett Hale

Prof. Arielle Lemoyne
Cleansweep One

Re: Week 3: Quidditch

Postby Prof. Arielle Lemoyne » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:43 am

I came up with a simple banner for HOL. The background is, of course, the primary color of each house - red for Gryffindor, yellow for Hufflepuff, green for Slytherin, and blue for Ravenclaw. I placed the mascot, an owl, in the center. In addition to owls being a well-loved creature to most witches and wizards, owls also connect the wizarding community, transmitting messages to people in all parts of the world. As the mascot, the owl represents that everyone on HOL is connected to one another, and that while we are divided into different houses, we are all united as HOL members.

Banner

February Fortescue
Oakshaft 79

Postby February Fortescue » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:47 pm

I chose Poltergeist Peeves as our HOL mascot, and surrounded him with the colors and symbols of the four Houses. I believe Peeves represents a spirit of activity and energy, creating a feeling of fear and at times mischief. He's never ignored, and is a force to be reckoned with. He's riding a Quidditch broom and with a presence which is always felt, how can HOL lose? Because he is a spirit, I used a more transparent image, and included wind/magic beneath him. The inclusion of the four Houses represents HOL unity.

av and sig by talented Prof. Fumei Spookie

Kim Alting
Comet 140

Postby Kim Alting » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:11 pm

I chose all the house mascots as our main mascot. I used the motto: "All of Hol unite", because now it is time to win in the name of HOL and not in the name of one particular house.

Joey Stark
Oakshaft 79

Postby Joey Stark » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:45 am

I chose the motto 'four forces as one'. I think we all individually know the power and potential of our own houses, but united together we are one giant force to be reckoned with! As the sorting hat said, we are meant to be four pillars holding up our school so I feel this represents that.
Credit to Maxim! ^

Riliey Starshine
No broom

Postby Riliey Starshine » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:07 am

In my banner I have one person from each house all holding hands together. I did this to symbolize the sense of community and friendship we have here at Hol. The motto I chose, "When we work together we can achieve anything!" furthers that symbolism and (because it is a banner) is also motivational. I chose gold as the background because gold is a symbol of first place in competitions.

Matilde Rayne
Moontrimmer

Postby Matilde Rayne » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:13 pm

My first thought for a mascot was a owl, like Arielle chose, but I decided to try for something else. Then I thought about an amalgam of all the House mascots - bad idea, trying to draw a lion-eagle-badger-snake did not work so well (though I suppose we might scare off our competition just by showing them our mascot, so that might not have been all that terrible of a thing...). So then, last night right before going to bed, I had a sudden thought of... okay, forget about animals, mascots can be other things, WE ARE ALL BERTIE BOTT'S EVERY FLAVOR BEANS.

While I'm sure that idea was the product of not getting enough sleep, the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. Every flavor beans - HOL members come from a wide variety of backgrounds, with differing personalities and talents. Some types of "flavors" are more complementary than others, and you can categorize flavors in a number of ways (sweet, sour, salty, etc.) sort of how students are sorted into Houses - but in the end, we're all beans from the same bag that is HOL.

The primary colors of all four Houses are used as the background for this image and present on the center bean itself, showing the connection between all four Houses in the greater HOL picture. Stretching across each of the quarters of the flag representing the Houses are traits that relate to those Houses - courage for Gryffindor, creativity for Ravenclaw, hard work for Hufflepuff, and ambition for Slytherin. While I don't see any spectators yelling these things out during a game, I can imagine that it's a good reminder to prepare for any competition by putting in the hard work beforehand, to face new challenges with courage, to come up with new and creative strategies, and to have the ambition to do your best to win.

Sirius Fudge
Silver Arrow

Postby Sirius Fudge » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:05 pm

Above is a banner Hogwarts uses in inter school competitions. Purple was used because it is the one used in Pottermore in matters regarding Hogwarts in general, not house specific. There is a letter H that stands for Hogwarts. The mascot I used is a dragon from the school motto. As for the written statement, it is not part of the banner but a cheer uses in games. Hogwarts students use the motto of the school and adjust the sleeping dragon to united Hogwarts. It means that when united, Hogwarts students can be as powerful as the dragon in the picture.

Leonie Hauri
Moontrimmer

Postby Leonie Hauri » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:27 pm

This is a pretty easily explained design. I used the same motto that the actual Hogwarts does, "Never tickle a sleeping dragon." Because of this motto, I used a dragon as my mascot, putting it between the four Houses. The motto is on each corner of the banner, with the dragon in the middle.
The Eagles are coming!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one."

Darcey Goode
Oakshaft 79

Postby Darcey Goode » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:18 pm

I've designed my pennant with tartans in each of the four house colours as Hogwarts is in Scotland. I'm not particularly great with words and slogans, so I borrowed and adapted one from elsewhere, but I think it fits.
Slytherin | da357 | Preppy!Darcey | Queen of All Music | Random Slyth
Nexi's Beater | NOT scary | Terrible | Stalking Biggles | Bludger Magnet

Leonie Hauri
Moontrimmer

Postby Leonie Hauri » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:53 am

I already submitted a graphic, but this is for extra beans. I used a lightbulb as my mascot, to show the enlightenment of learning (seeing as Hogwarts is a school). I also used the motto originally used by Hogwarts, as well as symbols for each of the four Houses.

And here's another graphic, for the max extra beans (at least, I believe that's what was written). I used paintbrushes as my mascot because it looked cool and creative, and probably has some inner meaning y'all can figure out. Each paintbrush is a different House, with the House colors. I went with someone previous'a idea of using purple as the universal color that they got from Pottermore.
The Eagles are coming!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one."

Prof. Limine Snidget
Cleansweep One

Postby Prof. Limine Snidget » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:39 am

For my Hogwarts mascot I chose the Golden Snitch. This may seem like an odd choice at first because Quidditch often brings tension and bad feelings between the houses. However, even though the Golden Snitch is difficult to catch, it is still possible, just like even though cooperation and friendship between the houses may be difficult, it is definitely possible. All houses have a love of Quidditch and it is something that ties all the houses together so if only they can focus on what they have in common and work together to make the sport great, I believe the Hogwarts houses can be united.

Maxim Trevelyan
Cleansweep One

Postby Maxim Trevelyan » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:15 pm

The graphic itself is obviously in shape of a flag, because that way it's easier to wave them around :P Anyway, the five colors represent five houses. Yellow for Hufflepuff, green for Slytherin, blue for Ravenclaw, red for Gryffindor and purple for Squib/House Neutral. The mascot itself is a phoenix, where I see it as even if we lost, we always rise from the ashes and start anew. The circle behind it symbolizes all the balls that are used in Quidditch, so each player or fan and picture it means the ball for the position they're most comfortable with. The motto I've used is 'In unity, there is strength', which I think it pretty self-explanatory. It's amended from Aesop's quote 'in union, there is strength'.
Thank you Dario!

Lamia Brickley
Oakshaft 79

Postby Lamia Brickley » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:50 pm

I wanted to point out all of our HOL activites, let it be sports or other (like this appreciation month). And I came up with all the colors that represent all the houses (green + silver, yellow + black, blue + bronze, red + gold) and our HOL/ Hollers color violet. And since this is so very colorful as we are, the word colorful needed to be part of the motto. Since most of the activites are also competitive I just searched for another word with 'c' (as the first two already started with that) and creative also fits!

Hermione Brontë
No broom

Postby Hermione Brontë » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:36 pm

I used the colour purple because like others already said, its the colour that represents the schools as a whole. And I added the Quidditch elements because its a banner for Quidditch matches.
I chose the castle itself as a mascot, because in my opinion its like it is alive, not just because it moves and changes and you always discover something new in it, but also because we live our lifes inside of it, we create stories and by doing so we make it even more alive.
Siggy by Fumei Elf <3

Polaris Black
Comet 140

Postby Polaris Black » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:49 pm

The "O" in HOL is a merit badge representing friendship around the world.

I used house colors for "Hogwarts On-Line" but in Google shades to represent the importance of the internet.

"Friendship is the strongest magic" is the HOL motto in English.
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!

Return to “HOL Appreciation Month”