Week 2: HOLLERS

Prof. Amy Lupin
Cleansweep Two

Week 2: HOLLERS

Postby Prof. Amy Lupin » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:02 pm

One of the great things about HOL is that there are many opportunities to interact with people from all over the world. HOLLERS is a club at HOL that helps facilitate this.

For this task, you'll need to choose someone who isn't in your house (ideally someone you haven't spoken to before) and ask them at least 5 general questions in order to get to know them better. Once you have your answers, you'll need to visually depict them through a drawing or graphic of some kind. It can be in the form of a collage or a mind map or anything else along those lines. Be creative and have fun!

Here are some ideas of questions to get you started:
  • What are some of your hobbies?
  • What is your favourite colour?
  • Where is your favourite place to be?
  • What is your favourite season?
  • What is your favourite quote?
Once you have created your visual representation, be sure to include a short paragraph explaining what the pictures represent (and also the layout if applicable).

Here is an example based on a series of questions that I asked Tarma:

A flower was used to symbolise Tarma's appreciation of nature. Tarma's hobbies include reading, knitting and gardening. She loves horses and one of her favourite places to be is by the ocean. One of Tarma's favourite foods is blueberries. Her favourite colour is purple, so a slight purple hue was used for the images. Lastly, Tarma enjoys doodling so a script font was used for her name.

Upload your drawing/graphic to an image-hosting site such as Photobucket or Tinypic and post the picture in this thread to earn your points. Please keep your graphics to 600x600 pixels or less. Also remember to include a short explanation of the graphic/drawing in your post. You're welcome to do this for more than one person. For each additional person, you'll get 20 extra beans for a maximum of 40 beans.

We would like to encourage you to speak to as many different members of the HOL community as possible -- so if you see a graphic pertaining to a particular person, rather try asking someone else instead. Similarly, if you have already been asked sets of questions by two different people, please suggest someone else in your place. We also ask that you be respectful of both the person you ask the questions of as well as other HOLers. We reserve the right to delete any posts that do not follow this and you will not get points for the task.

In order to get full points for this task (ie. 10 points), you'll need to submit your solution by Sunday, 13 September at 11:59 PM HOL time. Otherwise feel free to still send in your submission after then - you will still get some points for it.

Once you have done so, why not sign up for HOLLERS and get involved in a discussion or even an activity.

Kim Alting
Cleansweep One

Re: Week 2: HOLLERS

Postby Kim Alting » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:31 am

This picture is about Maxim Trevelyan.

Though he is a Hufflepuff, his favorite color is dark green.
His favorite place to be is his parents property. They have a little bit of forest, a pond, lawns and a garden. "There's no place like home".
The quote in the top of the house is his favorite quote and he loves sports that keep the adrenaline rushing through his body.
His favorite season is fall, because he is born in October and he likes how the trees evolve into different colors.
I also put his favorite book and movie in the house: Jigs and Reels from Joanne Harris and Reservoir Dogs.
Last edited by Kim Alting on Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maxim Trevelyan
Silver Arrow

Postby Maxim Trevelyan » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:40 pm

Everything revolves around the bottle, because one of Kim's hobbies is to craft Harry Potter canon potions from little bottles that she buys. The bottle is purple, because that's Kim's favorite color. At the bottom are Harry Potter movies, since she said that those are her favorite. On the bottle's neck we see Kim's favorite place to be, which is Disneyland in Paris. In the little bubbles are her name, one of the bottles (Gillyweed!) that she made and a bed, because according to Kim, that's her second favorite place to be :P From the fumes rises in the heart a summer day, because summer is Kim's favorite season. Adorning that is Kim's favorite quote.

Also, Kim, I love the graphic! :D
Thank you Dario!

Prof. Arielle Lemoyne
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Arielle Lemoyne » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:56 pm

I talked to Ivelisse Ada!

The images are organized in a speech bubble, because Ive studies linguistics and is considering going into speech pathology or researching psycholinguistics and neurolinguistics. Within the speech bubble are her favorite videogames, tv shows, and sports, as well as a book to represent her love of reading! The entire graphic is colored red because that is Ive’s favorite!

Niniel Sanders
Cleansweep One

Postby Niniel Sanders » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:11 am

I've spoken to Tom Foster.

Tom loves to be with his friends, and he also likes to go to the movies, so I included an image of a group of friends at the cinema.
He's in the bowling league this year, but also likes to spend time playing video games, so that's why the little hero figure is there. He also likes spending time on HOL in his free time.
He owns three dogs and 2 cats that mean a lot to him. They are his most valued possession. In this image they're sitting in front of his family home: the place he feels most at home. After his animals, his second most valued item is his computer which is where I've opened all the windows representing Tom.
He describes himself as easy-going, honest, and polite.
His favourite quote is "Gryfftastic" which he uses a lot around the Gryffindor common room, but the motto he thinks most fitting to himself is "Never give up, when you fail, just keep trying and you will make it."

Sirius Fudge
Silver Arrow

Postby Sirius Fudge » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:36 am

I interviewed Leonie Hauri, a second year Ravenclaw. This graphic is a very small part of what describes her. The words are colored yellow because it is her favorite color. Nope, I did not decide that color. Actually, she said that she felt being disloyal to Ravenclaw after she said yellow. But that made her loyal to her house, hence the word in the word cloud. It is also shaped circle because it is her favorite shape. For the font, I failed to use her favorites but they are written in the cloud, Sunday, Lato and Kite One.

For her favorite quote, it is a Harry Potter one. "Of course its happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean its not real?" Many of us like this quote. It is written small in the word cloud. And it's okay because when asked between big or small, Leonie chose small. And when asked for a message to HOLers, she responded: Why do you ask such hard questions :)? Um... 'insert inspirational quote here and pretend I made it up'. Yes, I included them in the word cloud. :D

Riliey Starshine
No broom

Postby Riliey Starshine » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:45 pm

I also interviewed Leonie Hauri. The color scheme is yellow (her favorite color) and blue (because she's in Ravenclaw). When I asked what her favorite Holiday was, she asked if her birthday counted :D ! and although they aren't in the picture she also likes Christmas and Easter. For her birthday she got lots of books by her favorite author, Brandon Sanderson, because she loves to read. She picked her favorite food, eel sushi, for her birthday dinner. Leonie herself is represented by her favorite animal, a crocodile.

Hanna Inari
No broom

Postby Hanna Inari » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:35 pm

This picture is about Joey Stark, 1st year Ravenclaw.
Joey said that he's interested in photography so the pictures are arranged into photo frames. His favorite color is blue so they're blue.
There are a cat (that's yawning because Joey's favorite place is bed) and a snake on the pictures because Joey has 3 cats and 2 snakes as pets, and on the third pictures there are friends because Joey can't imagine his life without them. On one of the picture frames there is Joey's favorite quote from The Lord of the Rings that's even tatooed on him. I thought that it somehow corresponds with the photo so I placed it there.

Joey Stark
No broom

Postby Joey Stark » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:07 pm

I spoke with Hanna Inari ^ 1st year Hufflepuff whose summary of me is awesome by the way :D

The background is space-themed due to Hanna's interest in astronomy. I set the rest of her interests and preferences in a brain due to her passion for psychology.

In her brain we have: books and writing materials for her love of reading and writing. She's not a massive animal lover but she does like cats hence the cute kitten. Her favourite quote is featured in the banner in her favourite colours-violet and dark green (she may need to forgive me as I'm not the best at recognising colours!). I also included homages to her current favourite film and song (which I quoted)-Back to the Future and 'Beautiful' by Tom Milsom.
Credit to Maxim! ^

Leonie Hauri
Oakshaft 79

Postby Leonie Hauri » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:21 pm

This is Sirius Fudge:

He told me he was not as organized as I thought he was, so while his bulletin board isn't completely messy, it's not all nice and neat. He's a fifth year Hufflepuff prefect. His favorite colors are navy blue, forest green, and red, hence the sticky note colors. His hobbies are movies and HOL, so I added those, and topped it off with his trading card.
The Eagles are coming!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one."

February Fortescue
Oakshaft 79

Postby February Fortescue » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:58 pm

I had the honor and pleasure of interviewing Professor Kath Snape.

Professor Snape seems to share in equal measures the qualities of a caring, protective nurturer and of a fighter/survivor. She reminds me personally of an Oak tree which has withstood and continues to withstand all that life throws at her while offering shelter and protection to those she loves and those in need. Speaking of Oak trees, did you know badgers eat acorns? I didn't. I had to include one in my graphic, especially since she's a proud Hufflepuff. Yellow is her favorite color, too.

Her favorite season is Spring: “I can't wait until Winter is over, the snow is gone and the Sun rises sooner. I love the rebirth of the land with the trees and bushes blooming, flowers popping out everywhere and the grass growing in thick and green. I especially enjoy the Spring temperatures slowly warming up the air from months of the freezing cold.”
My image is set during the springtime (thus the Daffodils I selected).

She is a homebody who loves being with her family: “3 grown children, a daughter-in-law and a granddaughter and another grandchild on the way”. I've tried to represent her family by the circle of people at the top of the Oak tree.

Professor Snape loves reading Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files (so do I, and I highly recommend them!) She began reading Urban/Fantasy and such novels when she was in the hospital and spent time in multiple surgeries and in rehab in 2014 and 2015. She's definitely a fighter and a survivor. I'm glad she's back on HOL and healing!

She also has a large collection of Harry Potter Lego Blocks most of us would be very envious of! I know I am.

Last but not least, I've included her favorite quote in the banner.

BTW - I shared this with Professor Snape before submitting it. She told me her wand is made out of Oak. I'm not surprised. Shocked? Yes. Surprised? Not a chance :D
av and sig by talented Prof. Fumei Spookie

Prof. Limine Snidget
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Limine Snidget » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:09 pm

I made a graphic about Hope Stark, a first year Slytherin!

Hope absolutely loves being in water, hence the picture of water and all the bubbles (because who doesn't love a bubble bath!) The bubbles are pink because that is Hope's favorite color. And the rubber ducky was simply a necessity for this picture.

Hope's favorite superhero is Hope Summers (hence her HOL name) and she also really likes Tony Stark!

I also included some of Hope's favorite things - her favorite movie (The Princess Bride), her love of games (including Sims City), chocolate (except not the kind with a bunch of other junk in it), reading, and nails.

Prof. Fumei Spookie
Silver Arrow

Postby Prof. Fumei Spookie » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:03 am

I talked to Laurie Lovegood. Even though I have already spoken to her in the past (and now she's quite a good friend of mine) I decided that I wanted to introduce everyone to her, since she has been MIA for such a long time.

I made the outlines of a ferret. The reasoon for this is that ferrets are one of Lauries favorite animals (the next one being a penguin) She especially likes ferrets, because Draco Malfoy became one. One of the HP series who she adores. Beside that I made the outlines of the ferrets out of the answers that she gave me. Laurie told me that she loved the cool colors and especially dark blue, silver, purple and black. So those were used to create the ferrets nose strings. The tail of the ferret exists out of Lauries favorite quote from her favorite Drarry fanfiction (something she ships)
Laurie told me that the place she loves the most is one where she can meet her friends and it doesn't really matter why. Also Lauries favorite season and time is winter with it's christmas season.
Laurie loves to play all kind of games online. Those also appear in this ferret. That is how this creation got created. (which was fun to do!)

Darcey Goode
Oakshaft 79

Postby Darcey Goode » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:18 pm

My graphic represents Gryffindor Post Graduate Alanna Pierce. It's shaped like a book as reading is one of Alanna's hobbies and coloured blue for her favourite colour (along with a scarlet and gold bookmark to represent her house). The starburst represents magic (she likes fantasy and mythology), and the rest of the left page represents some of her other hobbies - computer games and time with friends. Her favourite place to be is at home, and her favourite time of year is summer. Her favourite quote runs along the top of the page.

Slytherin | da357 | Preppy!Darcey | Queen of All Music | Random Slyth
Nexi's Beater | NOT scary | Terrible | Stalking Biggles | Bludger Magnet

Polaris Black
Cleansweep One

Postby Polaris Black » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:17 pm

I interviewed Bull J. (BJ) Johnson during HOL Appreciation Month 2014. He is currently a Slytherin Fifth Year, loves helping HOL out any way he can, and says he lives HOL 24/7. He is a staunch Slytherin who admires both his fictional and HOL house-mates and prefers to team with other Slytherins for HOL activities.

He is tough, strong, and muscular and would play the position of Beater in a physical Quidditch game. If he could choose a superpower, it would be super-strength so he could be even stronger than he is now. And he would love to teach a class at HOL, either about wrestling or country music because these are his two passions.

BJ is always improving his computer skills, but he is not yet able to use graphics software as an artistic medium. So when he was asked to create a mind map during HOLLERS summer camp, he submitted a series of pictures and associated captions.

I created a mind map using his pictures and captions – I hope you like it, BJ!

I love doing mind maps – thank you Kim Alting for introducing me to the concept!
A "Cassie Sig" is priceless - thank you so much!

Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis
Tinderblast

Postby Prof. Scarlet Leslie-Lewis » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:26 pm

New Gryffindor Prefect, Alessandra Grace, graciously took some time out of her busy schedule to answer my questions. Since her HOL name is rather long, she prefers going by Ale. She is Italian and currently a student studying Ancient Literature. She loves anything with Ancient Greece and Latin. She is working toward a teaching degree, but hopes to become a writer. The graphic is designed to look like a magazine cover because Ale read about HOL in a magazine article about Harry Potter and joined!

Matilde Rayne
Moontrimmer

Postby Matilde Rayne » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:58 pm

I spoke with Riliey Starshine, a fifth year Hufflepuff! Riliey likes reading and drawing, represented by the book and the colored pencils. She likes classic rock and her favorite band is The Who; I included part of one of the covers relating to her favorite song by the band, Happy Jack. Rubeus Hagrid is her favorite Harry Potter character, since she relates to him and loves animals just like him. Speaking of animals, for pets, Riliey has two dogs, named George and Chaplin, a adopted chinchilla (like the one in the picture) named Chilla, and three rats named Monster, Michonne, and Alice! Riliey's really loves hiking and spending times outdoors, so I modeled things as a tree (I think? I'm definitely not as artistic as her <<), with lime green leafy parts, since lime green is her favorite color!

Return to “HOL Appreciation Month”