January Workshop-Ariella

Class led by Arielle Lemoyne

Moderator: Prof. Arielle Lemoyne

Ariella McManus
Silver Arrow

January Workshop-Ariella

Postby Ariella McManus » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:56 am

My Hope For You"

Let me start out by saying that you know who you are. And if anything I say in the next few minutes hits home, then yeah, chances are I'm talking to you. So sit up and take notice because someone out there could be me, and you deserve to know how that feels. But this isn't really about laying guilt, it's about hope.

Because, you see, my hope for you is that one day you can actually look in the mirror and realize the damage that you have done. My hope for you is that you can live with that, because I've had to live with it for almost thirty years now. My hope for you is that you overcome whatever demons were chasing you that made you take it out on me.

My hope for you is to see that bruises are more than just black marks on a person's skin. Each and every time you left them on me, it broke another little piece of me. My hope for you is that you understand, really understand, that my blood is no less precious than yours. My hope for you is that you are sorry for making me spill mine all in the name of love. My hope for you is that whenever you see a woman sporting dark shades and long sleeves on a rainy day in mid July, you think about me.

My hope for you is more than just hope; it's a mantra. Each and every time I start to feel as low and worthless as you wanted me to feel, I say "never again" and move on with my life. My hope for you is that you have found peace and the strength to change. Deep down you were a good person; I just don't think you ever believed it. I have found hope, strength, and love, despite what you tried to do to me. I look into is eyes every night when he comes home from work. I call him husband.

But most of all, my friend, my hope for you is simply that you never have to see one of your daughters end up with a man like you. That is not something I would wish on anyone...not even you.
Ravenclaw Prefect/Head Student/Student Teacher/ar1107
“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!”

Lavinia Rookwood
Oakshaft 79

Re: January Workshop-Ariella

Postby Lavinia Rookwood » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:19 am

First off, I know you personally, so you get hugs from me for writing this. Especially since you were there for me when I exposed myself last month.

But on to the topic at hand. This is probably the rawest poem up here. There's a few poetic moments particularly with the third stanza, where you painted some images for the audience to see. But over all, this is someone standing their ground. By writing it to a specific person, rather then a general audience, you create a different feel. Instead of seeing someone engaging the room, you see someone staring down the person the poem is addressed to and laying everything down on the table.

And then you do the thing that gets audiences in theaters standing up and clapping. You, metaphorically, drop the mic and turn away with the last stanza. This isn't anger, this is just pure doneness with the situation and the aftermath and in the end, you leave it in his lap. It's not your problem anymore. He's not your problem anymore.

Never again.

Return to “Poetry Writing”